1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What do I do with all these caterpillars

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by lazy-gardener, Mar 9, 2021.

1. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    hi all, my digging saga continues...... despite my patch being dormant for years and couch grass the only thing growing I have noticed an awful lot of caterpillars as I have been digging. And maybe there isn’t that many bit I saw at least 20 today as I wS digging and this may be normal? At least they look like caterpillars I should have taken a photo. Mainly greenish or greeny white but an occasional one that looks almost blue. But what should I do with them? I really don’t want to kill them. Are they doing any harm or are they just in a certain butterfly state. I thought they only grew on things the larvae could eat like cabbages but obviously I don’t know that much. Lol. If they do cause any harm could I just collect them all up and give them a new home in the woods by where I live?

2. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    Could you post pictures of what you found, so they can be identified, please?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
      Ratings:
      +774
      Sounds like cut worms to me. These are larvae of a variety of moths. When I find them when digging I tend to throw them somewhere that the birds (which I usually have a lot of in the garden) can use them for a meal as they are known to eat plants and will be particularly damaging to the delicate stems of young vegetables you might plant if they are still there in big numbers when you start growing. They get their name from cutting the stems of young plants so somewhere away from where you are growing is a good place to send them anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,289
        I thought the same as @Macraignil from your description @lazy-gardener (a tad confused by your mention of blue, tho... :scratch:) but a photo would certainly be better.

Cutworms

Nick

• Like Like x 1
        • lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
          +12
          I knew I should have taken a photo. I will take one next time I am there but looking at weather it’s not going to be for a couple of days

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
          Ratings:
          +1,685
          If there is an abundance of root in the area you're digging, I'd say it sounds more like leatherjackets, crane fly larvae. Of course this is all speculation without photographic evidence

• Like Like x 1
          • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
            Ratings:
            +1,136
            I always try to identify them.

If they are useful or pretty, I relocate them or just let them be.

If they are of the "I will eat your crops" - kind, they end up in a large bucket and the birds will do their thing