1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you grow for winemaking

Discussion in 'The GC 'Buttery'' started by Scrungee, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Any grape growers here? (my soil/site is completely unsuitable), but what about other stuff?

2. Lea

Lea Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,067
    I did have grapes for a while but I lost them a few years back. I have Apricots and various apples and I usually have parsnips just for wine. The blueberries, raspberries and gooseberries sometimes end up going in too as I am not a big fruit eater. I also forage for dandelions, elderflowers, elderberries, sloes, blackberries and anything else as season and abundance allow. It's a far reaching hobby. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,698
      Had a grape vine when I first moved in but it did very little so I removed it. I have elderberry plants and a variety of fruits and berries. This is a bit of an adventure for me, having only just started out :)

• Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
      Ratings:
      +568
      Ditto to Lea, I normally hedgerow forage for 'stuff', (as opposed to foraging normally) but runner beans are always a good wine, I made some from white beetroot and from purple podded pea pods.

Question for Lea, what yeast type do you use for your parsnip wine ?

Cheers, Tony.

• fileyboy

fileyboy Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +421
      Beetroot and Pea Pods also make good wine.The first Pea Pod I made turned out just like a sparkling wine,the taste was:ccheers: but the remaining years that I did wine making could never get it to do the same.

Rhubarb and Malt also make a very nice desert wine which also had some kick with it.

• Like Like x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,309
        Put in a cutting of my late Dad's Muscat of Alexandria vine when we moved over here....it's settled in well and has good crops of small, sweet, pippy grapes. Now I've got a few 'seedless' varieties established for eating, so will have a go this year at making a muscat wine, wasps and hornets permitting:biggrin:. The ambition, though, is to produce ginger wine.....can't get it here:stirpot: