1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What has happened to my Chrysanthemums

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Charlie, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Charlie

Charlie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought 3 Chrysanthemum plants about 2 weeks ago. Two I put in one container, both still in their original pots and the 3rd I put (still in its original container) inside another pot.
    You can see from the photos that the 2 together have developed some sort of petal disfiguration. The worrying thing is that some (most) of the new developing buds are going brown and not opening. Were this not happening I might be excused in thinking that the blooms had bloomed and were over. The plant that sits on its own is very healthy (see last photo) and none of the blooms are anywhere near over. I water and feed all plants regularly having never let them dry out. The only difference between the two is that the healthy plant sits right next to the window and the others are in the middle of the room but that said the room is very light.
    Can anyone help me - I have seen in my RHS encyclopedia something called petal blight but apparently it is quite rare?! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Charlie... sad that.....potbound more likely, apart from the following.I suggest cut the plants back,down to some strong leaves, pot in bigger pot separately, feed on high potassium, like Phostrogen, put them outside. One of the other reason, lacking proper light,they may have been forced for a special date and then sold on....as they do lol..and you should have them in flower again soon.
    ---------
    Ladybird

3. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Charlie another chance is, it could have dried out at some stage, before you got it..Chrysanths are very tough.....Remove flowerhead on the 3rd plant each low down, after finish and keep feeding it weekly, a pinch dry to the pot and water in it may never stop flowering then.

Will email you to show one of Chrysanthemums...still not found, how to upload here, can do it in other groups..
    ---------
    Ladybird