WHAT HAVE YOU SOWED FOR THIS YEAR

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Mar 8, 2011.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,834
    I thought it might be interesting so see what everyone is sowing for this years growing season. I had a mad hour and sowed:

Tomatoes - Rosada, Juliet, and Shirley
    Delphiniums, Lupins, Rudbeckias 3 types, Asters, Dahlias, Hollyhock. Pansy, Eryngium, Sweetpeas, Nasturstium. Agastache, Nicotiana, Portulaca, Schizanthus.

So what have you sown and what are you planning to sow???

2. Pixie

Pixie Gardener

Ratings:
    +400
    I've sown some rudbeckia, primula vialii and a yucca. I'm experimenting as i have never tried these from seed before. i'm hoping i've done it right.

3. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    I also had a sowing session this afternoon ..

Tomatoes. Marmalade .. Rio Grande
    Cleome ..Amaranthus..Larkspur..Nicotiana .Coleus
    Couple of varities of Lettuce.

Got a few more to do hopefully tomorrow ...

Dave

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,312
    Ive sown.....

Tomatoes Gardeners Delight and Golden Pearl.

Cucumber Can't remember which one and I'm not going out in the dark to find the packet!

Lettuce Lactuca Sativa 'Granada'. Outside later.

Nicotiana, Lupins, Michaelmas daisies, Lavatera Novella, Dianthus, Antirrhinum and another couple which I can't remember, and also means going out in the dark! :heehee:

I'm interested to see how the Lavatera does as it's a dwarf for beds and baskets. :)

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    I am intending to sow some quantities of biennials - such as Lupins (as a biennial), Salvia sclarea, Hesperis, Digitalis, Wallflowers etc, and some annuals such as Cosmos, Cleome etc for the border - but I haven't got round to it yet.

So far I have just sowed some small quantities of plants more for pots than the border. These include Bomarea, Amaranthus, Anisodentea, Brugmansia, Cana tropicana rose, Canna tuerckheimii, Datura, Fuchsia boliviana, Geranium maderense, Hedychium gardnerianum, Iochroma, Leonotis nepetifolia, Malope, Nicandra, Plumbago, Polygala, Sesbania, Solanum mamosum, Sonchus and Sutherlandia.

Most of the above are sowed in 3" pots, but I have also sowed a number of them as well as some others items in contact with moist kitchen roll in polybags. I know Kristen has had a go at that - has anyone else. One great advantage is that you can have 20 or even 40 polygags in the same space as one halfsize seed tray. As soon as the seeds germinate, you have to extract them with tweezers and pot them up.

6. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    I've not tried the moist kitchen roll method as yet . A friend of mine has and lost his seedlings ,not sure why ?
    I have some Adeniums and Plumerias I was going to try. I also have some Iochroma to sow .. Have you grown Iochromas before ? I have one plant that I overwintered from a friend it is starting to shoot I noticed ..Let you know how it goes ..

Dave

7. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    Dave. I sowed some Iochroma australis last year, with a generous portion of seed from Chilterns. Quite a few grew and two produced a couple of flowers. Although the packet said blue - I was pleased that one had a blue flower and another had a white flower.

This year I have sowed three different Iochroma cyanea and Iochroma fuschioidies. The seed was much more difficult to find and much less generous - 10 seeds or less per packet. So far, after several weeks, I have just three seedlings one of each of the three cyaneas. So my fingers are crossed.

I have recently sown the rest of the Iochroma seed in the polybags. I also sowed some Geranium maderense, from last years seed packet, in a bag and was pleased to see that after just two days one seed has germinated. I must remove it today and pot it up.

8. simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,318
    I've sown all my hanging basket plants plus salvia patens, chelone oblique, hollyhock, thalictrum, nicotiana, some mixed campanula,dierama, collected seed from my lobelia tupa(just in case my plants didn't survive winter:cry3:, did last year but no sign yet)clematis korean beauty and like PeterS my favourite salvia, sclarea, white one this year, do you have 'Piemont' PeterS? lovely colour:)

9. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    Simbad. I have not heard of 'Piedmont'. In fact I didn't know that there any named cultivars of Salvia sclarea.

10. simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,318
    Bought the seeds from Chilterns last year PeterS has dark purple bracts were the normal has pink, bought Alba this year also from Chilterns thats completely white, bracts and flowers, a couple of the Piemont flowered last year here's a couple of pictures:)

Attached Files:

11. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    PeterS I used the damp paper in a plastic bag named after Norman Deno who developed it .. It was very effective . I cant think why I dont use it now.

This year I am growing all the usual basket and bedding plants . Plus 2 new Thunbergia - blushing and salmon shades . Lophospermum ( doing very well ) ,Rhodochiton ( not doing very well at the moment ) , Cosmos daydream , Salvia Hummingbird and Sunflowwer ring of fire for the grandkids ! Plus my Canna tropicana and cherry bomb chillies which I planted in january - are both doing great. Things are looking good and the days are getting longer ! :dbgrtmb:

12. Salgor

Salgor Gardener

Ratings:
    +38
    I've just bought a tub of mixed summer flower seeds from Lidl - 1.99. Since they are all annuals or bi-ennials I thought I would sprinkle them in between the perennials in the bed and see what happens.:heehee:

13. harryb

harryb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first attempt at growing my own and I have now got my first greenhouse.

I think I may have been a bit over zealous and sowed to early but for the record. African Marigolds, Alyssum, Aster, Busy Lizzies, Nicotiana, Lobelia, Pansies (3 types, ), Petunias, Rudbeckia, Salvias and Verbena. All have germinated except the Petunias. Busy Lizzies went leggy and have started them again. All the rest have been pricked out apart from the Alyssum which look a bit sickly, (see separate post). I may have to start them again although about half look ok.

harryb

14. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey,

Lets see what I can remember.

This year I have mostly sowed, Parsnips, Leeks, Red Italian onions, White onions, Mangetout peas( Mice got most of them) Carrots, Red salad Bowl Lettuce, Beetroot, Scorzonera, Tomatoes (Losseta, a very early outdoor variety) Dwarf French Beans, Sea Kale, Lambs Lettuce (a challenge with Lukenotts:thumbsup:) Think thats all, but early days yet.

15. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    I have sown malva, snapdragons, rudbeckia (red & yellow), salpiglossis and two lots of dahlias - Bishop of Llandaff and his Children :heehee: This weekend it will be: clematis integrifolia, eustoma, zinnias, coreopsis, thunbergia, stock and asters.

Oh, forgot to say I have mangetout peas in damp kitchen paper in the airing cupboard - I find this a very successful method. I'll plant some purple sprouting broccoli too. I have potatoes chitting in the shed and they're coming along nicely.

I've got lots of other seeds that I'll sow a bit later on when the weather warms up a bit more.