What Hedge?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Chappers53, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Chappers53

Chappers53 Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +8
    I wasn't sure where to post this, so hope I have it in the appropriate section. If not, I can move it, or re-post or whatever. But anyway ....

I mentioned in my maiden post that I would be looking for some hedging advice, as we're in the middle of some hard landscaping and will be changing most of the garden. Originally, the only feature we wanted to keep was some box hedging, as it was the only thing that looked really good. But you've probably already anticipated my next comment. The box now has a load of box caterpillar. Based on what we have read, we have decided just to get rid of it rather than try to save it, but would like to replace it with something similar. Our first choice is probably Japanese Holly, as it provides the look we are after. I remember reading somewhere though that it prefers acid soil, though a lot of the web sites I looked at didn't mention that. Our own soil is very chalky, though we've added top soil over the years. So the advice I am looking for I guess is in two parts:

1 Does anyone have any knowledge of Japanese Holly thriving well in soil that isn't acidic ? I'd hate to shell out for a load of plants if they aren't going to thrive in our soil and I don't really want to be spending a lot of time constantly treating the soil to adjust the acidity.

2 Failing that, I guess I'm looking for other suggestions that would be suitable, given our preference for something that looks similar to box and is easy to maintain.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  2. blackstart

blackstart Gardener

Ratings:
    +105
  3. Chappers53

Chappers53 Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +8