1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What, if, an when to feed a magnolia tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Xris, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Xris

Xris Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Afternoon all

Was wondering if to feed a magnolia tree and if so what type of feed to use and when.

I did read that all you should do is mulch around it.

Cheers.

2. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    Hi Chris,

Any well-rotted organic matter will do as a feed for your magnolia; horse manure, compost, leaf litter etc. As long as you have decent soil the tree shouldn't really encounter any nutrient deficiency problems. Organic mulches such as wood bark or wood chips are good as acting as a weed-barrier and keeping frost off, and has the benefit of adding nutrition into the soil as it degrades.

3. Xris

Xris Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Will that help to encourage flowering I planted it towards the end of last year an it seems to have come through the cold and frosts ok.

4. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    It'll flower if it has adequate energy to do so - if it has been well looked after and is in good health then it'll flower normally without any further help needed. If you are wanting to go down the lines of applying chemical fertiliser in order to promote flowering then you need a mix that is bias toward potassium. Be careful when applying a biased mix like this that you don't over fertilise the tree as a potassium rich soil can be as damaging as a potassium deficient one.

Quick question: Is this a recently planted tree or an established one? If it's relatively newly planted tree then you may need to wait a number of years anyway for it to reach sexual maturity in order for it to flower anyway. Feeding it before it reaches flowering stage will be useless.

5. Xris

Xris Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I put it in the ground before winter last year it's dropped a few leaves but seems otherwise in good health

6. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,593
    I do not feed it. And I have tons of blooms each year.

7. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,898
    I have never heard of feeding them if they are in the ground.