1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What is ailing my indoor hyacinths?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by groundbeetle, Dec 31, 2021.

1. groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
    +438
    Can anyone tell me what is the matter with my indoor hyacinths. I bought it as a pot of 3 indoor hyacinths, and only one flower is starting to bloom, and that has a bit of brown undeveloped flower. The other two flowers are brown, dry and undeveloped.

Attached Files:

2. groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
    +438
    I think it might be Botrytis cinerea.

Grey mould

I am wondering if I need to completely throw out the hyacinths, or if the bulbs will be ok to plant outside for next year?

Still annoying, as you pay a lot more for Christmas flowering indoor hyacinths than for a few outdoor bulbs. And there could be a risk to my other plants?

One of the three bulbs has half grown, its other half is brown and rotten, and the other two bulbs are brown and rotten, one completely so.

Next year I need to learn how to make my own Christmas flowering hyacinths and not rely on supermarket bought ones, get the bulbs early and learn to treat them so they come up indoors early.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,932
    I wouldn't like to guess at what the problem is but I do think there not much to be gained by planting them in the garden.
    I think I would throw them away once the good ones have finished flowering.

4. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,672
    Grey mould might be a possibility :sad: Never seen that kind of damage before.

Anyways, it's super easy to grow your own. I buy a 3-pack of prepared bulbs, plant them up in small pots with the tip above the soil, water, cover loosely with kitchen foil and pop in the fridge. After 8-10 weeks they show signs of growth so come out on a cool bright windowsill to flower.

Every year I try to stagger them to have a fresh one ready when the previous fades, but the bulbs seem to have an internal clock so all scream to get out about the same time :noidea:

Saving the bulbs is not really worth it, they might flower in ground in the following years, but the display is not great at least in my garden. I treat them as single use plants, the attraction is in the scent and in seeing the miracle of a bulb happening right on your kitchen table. Fascinating. :)

5. groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
    +438
    Selleri, thanks for that information. I will definitely do that next year. Rightly or wrongly I feel very upset over this hyacinth. I paid £3.50 from one of the big four UK national supermarkets, and I lost the receipt, but the money is a tiny part of the upset I feel. Only one of the bulbs has made a flower, and it is a scraggly thing with barely any scent.

Attached Files: