1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What is ailing this rose?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by groundbeetle, Jun 22, 2022.

1. groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
    +438
    This is a rose I grew from seed three years ago. This spring it was doing really well, a healthy plant with promise. I sprayed it once with SB Plant Invigorator which is an organic product for greenfly. The leaves then looked dried out and turned brown, but the plant was still alive, and has recently flowered, and had produced some fresh leaves that looked healthy.

When I looked at it today, the old, dried-out leaves looked even more crinkly, and even the new leaves are turning brown. There looks to be a white powdery covering on some leaves, which might or might not be mildew.

Last year I used the SB Plant Invigorator on some Feverfew, whose stalks turned dry and brown but the Feverfew still flowered normally, but at the end of the season the whole plants died. The greenfly showed no interest in the dried out stalked plant. I just assumed that I had over-used the SB Plant Invigorator, but this year on this rose I only used it once and lightly.

After the effect on this rose I threw the SB Plant Invigorator out and will never use it again.

I have nurtured this rose for three years from seed, and was overjoyed when it flowered, but it looks as though it will now wither and die. The leaves feel paper-dry. The first photograph is of a new leaf, which today looks as though it is now withering.

1198D92B-C6AC-4577-ABA2-FFAD4DA00ABF.jpeg 5D9D4224-D01D-4AD3-8661-E097236D4091.jpeg 3C8D27DB-664F-4FA7-B9C2-266588F76A69.jpeg E2CDC945-5739-4211-A3F1-28195AA24CC2.jpeg E4D1A095-D497-4161-A3D4-8CF4774BE652.jpeg 4F8DFC0B-A710-4A9A-BF09-ED8639187A78.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  2. groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
    +438
    I found a photograph I had taken of this rose from 18th January 2022. I notice that even the thorns look fresh on this photograph, whereas today they look brown and dried out.

B2B8E85E-14A2-4451-97E6-B3A66FE07AFD.jpeg 91AA1E82-B83D-4E00-9031-3C85544CA71C.jpeg

3. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +888
    You might wish to seek condolence, apology or compensation from the distributor?
    :
    Help/Advice Centre

4. groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
    +438
    I am just describing my experience honestly. Yes I am very upset, and I do think it was the SB Plant Invigorator. The value to me of that plant is very personal. I haven't read anywhere of anyone else having SB Plant Invigorator killing their plant, some people just say it didn't work for them, and after my personal experience with it I am saying what happened with it to me. It dried out my plants, like they didn't have any sap left, and this wasn't my fault this time as I was very careful not to over-use it, and it was a moment's mistake to use it at all.

I was hoping there would be some remedy for this rose. If I can save it. Nothing the manufacturer of SB Plant Invigorator could say could possibly bring it back.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  5. Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
    Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
    Ratings:
    +6,780
    I trust you diluted it. It has to be diluted 100:1.

6. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,807
  7. groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
    +438
    Is this the company that manufactures it? The name doesn't seem to be the same, and whenever I have googled this manufacturer there is no customer service contact at all.

8. groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
    +438
  9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    It does mention that it can burn the edges of leaves.
    Trouble with these kind of things is there is usually a "get out" on their part because they have no control over how you use it.

To be honest the rose doesn't look like its going to die.

• Like Like x 1
    • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
      Ratings:
      +888
      Not sure about manufacture; but are a distributor to agriculture. The contact details at the foot of the leaflet submitted by Wiseowl, of Fargro ltd , are a major supplier to the horticultural trade and, in my experience, likely to be able to furnish manufacturers contacts, if different.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,270
      @groundbeetle Sorry to hear about your rose, SB Plant Invigorator can be bought from a whole range of suppliers as either a concentrate or a ready to use spray. The concentrate must be diluted as said in an earlier post, if not it would cause the plant dry up as you describe for the feverfew. If you used the concentrate without dilution then I doubt much can be done for the rose. You could just leave well alone for a year and see if it revives at all.
      SB Plant Invigorator is made by Homepage - SB Plant Invigorator Retail

• Informative Informative x 1
      • groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
        +438
        Thanks for this information. It was diluted.

That is the first place I have ever found to be able to contact the manufacturers, thanks.

And thanks yes I suppose all I can do is leave the rose alone for a year and see if it recovers, but the fresh young leaf turning brown within a few days of opening doesn't bode well. The plant does have a lot of the beginnings of fresh shoots on it, but I am not holding my breath.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,560
        I don't know whether @wiseowl or others here would agree but I would be inclined to remove all the leaves and flowers and prune the main stem down by half. This would give it a temporary dormancy as if in winter and a chance to recover. I would also replace the top inch or two of soil because the SB will be in that too.

• Like Like x 1
        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,807
          Good morning with respect I am not to sure that it is the "SB P.I"that is to blame growing a Rose from seed is a minefield but I do agree with our good friend @Sheal with a proviso that I would repott the Rose when it is in its dormant state using fresh John Innes No 3:smile:

• Like Like x 1