1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What is going on with my nasturtiums ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lucyloo, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Lucyloo

Lucyloo Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    Morning all, I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on my gigantic nasturtium leaves. I planted a few spare seeds in the earth and left them. No feeding as I know you shouldnt. There are no signs of flowers and the largest leaf now has grown to about 5 1/2 inches. Is this normal? I've never seen any this large before. Help please? I've posted a picture to try and show the scale with an empty coffee jar beside them. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
    Ratings:
    +7,491
    This has happened to my nasturtiums before and it was due to the soil having manure/slow release fertilizer added to it some months before the seeds were planted. Perhaps your soil is too rich for them even though you haven't fed them as they do seem to thrive on poorer soils and have more flowers as a consequence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Lucyloo

Lucyloo Gardener

Ratings:
      +34
      Thanks Fern. We've lived here since Nov 2013 and there's been no manure or fertiliser since then in that part of the garden. Could it be the dogs wee perhaps? His preferred spot is not far from the nasturtiums ?:doggieshmooze:

• Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
      Ratings:
      +7,491
      I'm not sure about the dog wee to be honest. Have you fed any plants quite near to the nasturtiums with a liquid feed perhaps? Don't worry though, even if the leaves are large you should still get flowers. None of my nasturtiums are flowering yet as the weather hasn't been that warm. There's still time. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Lucyloo

Lucyloo Gardener

Ratings:
        +34
        Not that I can think of, it's a mystery! Hopefully we will get some flowers at some point but we do live in Scotland after all! I'm still waiting for my peony buds to open. Thank you very much @Fern4 for your help.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Have you had a thunder storm recently?

• Like Like x 1
          • Lucyloo

Lucyloo Gardener

Ratings:
            +34
            No Zigs, no thunderstorms. Now I'm intrigued. What's the connection with thunder and nasturtiums?

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Just wondered as lightning fixes atmospheric nitrogen, which comes down with the rain and gives everything a good feed :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Lucyloo

Lucyloo Gardener

Ratings:
              +34
              Wow, I didn't know that. Every day is a school day. What are your thoughts on the dog wee @Zigs . Could that be fertilizing the soil? He never does it on the plants, just a bit of earth close by.