1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved What is it and how do I care for it?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Cardinal-Red, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Cardinal-Red

Cardinal-Red Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    I think these two are the same kind of plant...

IMG_20190716_190347.jpg IMG_20190716_190336.jpg

They flowered a few weeks ago (lovely flowers actually) but they died quickly and now it looks discoloured and in bad shape.

Can you identify it and do I need to do any cutting back etc at this point? I'd like it to grow back but more emphatically next year if possible!

2. Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,092
    It looks like a peony to me, not sure what is wrong with it though :noidea:
    I don’t normally cut them back yet but.......In this case I think I would.

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Looks like botrytis or similar disease to me.

If mine I would cut off every affected leaf even if it means total defoliation. Clear away all debris and scrape away top of soil. I would apply a granular feed and then mulch to cover affected soil area. That’s what I would do but......

Trouble is it will, over time, affect flowering so I would make sure the peony has plenty of air movement (so nearby plants aren’t smothering it) and sun. By removing the foliage at this time of year you are depriving it of its ability to “feed” itself and flower as well as it could next year. Your choice Cardinal-Red :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Cardinal-Red

Cardinal-Red Gardener

Ratings:
        +45
        Thanks guys.

The flowers those 2 produced this year were lovely but scarce. There has been no cutting back or care of the plant for 3 summers now. So I guess a full reset is in order.

Verdun - do you mean cut just the leaves off, leaving the stems, or cut right back to the ground?

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Stems left without leaves would be pointless Cardinal-Red so cut all affected stems and leaves to the ground :)

• Like Like x 1