1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best feed for a new turf lawn.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Dave0w, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Dave0w

Dave0w Apprentice Gardener

Shift manager (warehouse)
    Ratings:
    +12
    i am going to laying a new lawn over the week or two and i want to know what is the best feed / lawn maintenance to use. the local garden center as a massive range but only ever push's one brand.

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Hi Dave

If you are are applying a good grade top soil the turf will be fine for a while as it bonds in.
    It will not require a feed straitht away and you will find it will if prepared correctly grow nicely to start with.
    Just remember to water well if we have a dry spell and to allow a higher cut till it's taken.
    As for fertilisers, there are so many out there from liquid to granular, straight to slow release.
    When the times comes choose a feed to suit the grass condition and time of year.
    I would say the first feed would be an Autumn based one as it will be around the end of July before you lay the turf and depending on conditions will be around mid to end of September time when you will be thinking of a fertiliser.
    I tend to stick to Everiss which was Scotts for my feeding which has served me well.

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Evergreen ?

4. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Sorry, small typo by me, it's Everris or as some of the products are now known under ICL badge.
    Commercial feed and I've yet to try the new version of the Renovator Pro which has a higher N.

5. Dave0w

Ratings:
    +12
    the stuff my local push's is the evergreen, i dint know if it was good or just what the have the best margin on.

6. Dave0w

Ratings:
    +12
    thank you for the detailed reply. i will have a look for the brand you mentioned and also hold off feeding till latter in the year

7. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    A well balanced low N,P and K lawn fertiliser would be a good idea to add to the soil prior to turfing. Decent turf suppliers add it to your order as a matter of course. Often they'll add their own or bags of chicken pellets. Don't go higher than about 8/8/8.

• Informative Informative x 1