1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What is this crassula?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Gumbert, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Gumbert

Gumbert Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone tell me what type of crassula this is? At first I thought it was an ovata, but this isn't anywhere near as full looking, and has weird root structures, and what look like baby plants growing at the end of each branch - are they babies?
    Also, what are the white dots forming on it? They rub off easily with water

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,919
    Hello Gumbert and welcome to GC.

It looks like the Crassula argentea (the common Jade Plant / Money Plant) to me. but I may be wrong and a more knowledgeable member will come along and correct me ... they have babies all the time and if they drop off they root and have even more ..... :hehe:

Mine is about 28 years old (the child of my sister's 40 year old one) and now lives outdoors here ... although it did for several years on the IoW also before we moved here in 2001.

I see nothing untoward with yours so take care of it and it will be with you for a lifetime. You will also get to see it bloom. Enjoy!

3. Gumbert

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Victoria. Will it be OK to cut off those babies and replant them? They've been stuck to the thing for nearly a year now

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,919
    Hi again Gumbert.

These plants roots easily ... if they fall off the plant they will root themselves so yes it is okay if you take them off and plant them on ... just pop them in the soil and off they will go ....

They are called the Money Plant because they are supposed to bring you good luck and fortune .. I hope they do for you.

Good luck and enjoy ...

5. Gumbert

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I'll pull the little buggers off soon