1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What is wrong with my viburnum tinus ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by CharlesAC, Jun 20, 2020.

1. CharlesAC

CharlesAC Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello,

Hope you are all well and keeping safe.

This viburnum gave beautiful flowers in the spring, after flowering I gave it a light pruning to shape and all was fine. All of a sudden, in early June this has happened (please see the picture). Half of the plant dried out :(

In case it is not noticeable on the picture, this is one of the two branches coming from the ground going completely dry.

I was watering it normally so it wasn't like I let it dry.

What may be the issue here ? Anything I can do to save at least the rest ? Should I cut the brach that has dried out ?

Many thanks,

Charles

IMG_1346.jpeg

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,345
    With all the hot dry weather it's still possible it could be lack of water. A Viburnum that large would need a considerable amount of water if your weather has been anything like ours.

Another possibility is Viburnum Scale that particularly affects tinus. Although I can't see the leaves properly it doesn't look as though its scale.

Read this about it:-

Viburnum scale / RHS Gardening

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +611
      Hi saw this might help

www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/...
      Keeping leaves relatively dry is the key to preventing leaf spot diseases where leaves turn brown on viburnum. Do not use overhead irrigation and leave sufficient space between your plants for air to pass through. Rake up and burn the brown viburnum leaves that have fallen

• Like Like x 1
      • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
        +611
        Has any brown leaves got any holes /mildrew ? Keeping leaves relatively dry is the key to preventing leaf spot diseases where leaves turn brown on viburnum. Do not use overhead irrigation and leave sufficient space between your plants for air to pass through. Rake up and burn the brown viburnum leaves that have fallen.
        Have you a dog ?it is known dog urine also can turn leaves brown

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,653
          Have a scratch of the bark check if it's a good bright green colour underneath.
          Looks to me like the whole stem from the ground is dead.

Just seen Monty Donn going on about fire blight, it looks similar.

• CharlesAC

CharlesAC Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +5
            @Janet mahay Thank you, a closeup picture of leaves below, they look ok to me.

@pete Thank you, a picture of scratched bark below, nothing green left I am afraid :(

I did shower the plant occasionally (once a week) during hot spells, but it is only one branch completely dead, while the other is completely healthy.

When I looked up fireblight on RHS website it seems to be affecting some of the leaves / shoots. I may be wrong. But in my case the entire branch dried of at once, at the same time.

Do you suggest cutting that whole branch now ? Or wait until autumn / spring ? It is essentially a piece of deadwood by the looks of it.

Many thanks !

IMG_1362.jpeg IMG_1363.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
            • Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
              Ratings:
              +774
              I have got this on some of my viburnum tinus shrubs as well. Not sure what is the cause and when I posted a link to a video clip of the damage on another forum an experienced gardener put it down to exposure. The viburnum tinus is native to warmer climates so maybe it is down to it being a bit sensitive to frost damage or wind burn and we did get a frost in my own garden in May and the damage I noticed at times has been on the side of the shrub that was exposed to the north east where cold dry wind would have been coming from. I have just cut off the effected branches when I have noticed them and the shrubs have continued to grow fine and although it has happened a few times now it hasn't been that damaging to the shrubs in the longer term.

• Like Like x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,653
                I think if it's dead right down to ground level you might as well cut it out now.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,345
                  Just cut off the dead branches and talk nicely to what's left. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1