1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
    Ratings:
    +54,374
    Nothing ....diaboical weather! :sad:
    We even have floods up our lane.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Soaked twice today....now it is sunny.:noidea:
      Potted on niece’s Christmas tree though. I have guaranteed her a much bigger tree for next Christmas
      Getting to the panic stage about sowing veg seed.....next dry period I will make a start:)

• Like Like x 5
      • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,508
        Well I been out and done a bit , ended up moving a ligularia and a foxglove around not sure how that come about wasn't planned but I did it anyway :scratch: .

Moved the clematis montana to prepare the site for the rambling rose malvern hills and all I can say is it been a disaster , after digging down hit concrete :wallbanging: got my big iron bar to go on the attack :paladin: manged to break some of it off so had to get the big guns out SDS drill, got so far but the hole kept filling up with water which is another bad sign, couldn't see what I were drilling and then it snatched my drill bit off me :doh:, I come in now caked in mud and not happy :gaah:I'll look at it again another day when the conditions are better, I am hoping its just filling up cause it lashed it down last night and its been very wet recently otherwise it could all be in vein .

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,414
          Will Sisyrinchium striatum grow in a container in semi shade? If not, I would like something similar that would form small upright clumps. I am working out a project in my head. I am starting to bet the bits together. When I'm ready I'll take a photo to explain what I want to do. The first job is to finish painting the fence. It's been too wet recently to do it.

G.

• Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Not in too much shade Gary :sad:
          For me, not the most attractive plant esp as a feature :sad:
          “Small upright clumps”?? What did you have in mind?

• Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,414
        • Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          How about variegated ivy for the evergreen base? Or helianthemums......evergreen cascading plant with white, yellow, pink, red etc flowers? Aubretia....evergreen with blue, purple or red flowers? Acorus Ogon....evergreen yellow “grass” (grasslike not really a grass) ? Osteospermums.......? :)

• luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
          Ratings:
          +6,899
          :rain::rain::rain: and gale force winds varying from 48 - 67mph for past two days and another week of it before any significant improvement. There's been the odd dry period and even a little :sunny:, but very cold. Have managed to get a few jobs done despite the weather. Removed my Fuschia from it's pot, took out half the old compost and backfilled with fresh. Added some granular feed for the fuschia. Planted two Hellebores in bed under cherry tree and planted an Aubretia down by the pond. Cut grass in the other bun run - very quickly as it started :rain:, so I'll need to go over it again. Scrubbed out one of the bird baths. Moved two pots around on the patio ( I want to either redo the planting in them to cram more in or get rid of them, as part of my reducing the number of pots,but there are still daffs and muscari flowering in them, so it can wait ). They are very large pots ( suitable for planting small trees in so very heavy to move ). Gave one of the Buddlejas a haircut. Added another bag of manure to cherry tree bed. Removed half compost from my patio rose pot and added fresh with some granular feed. Bought more compost and manure yesterday. Checked :hhog: houses, two have clear signs of use and one could possibly have a hibernating hog in or it might not, will have to wait and see.

• Like Like x 5
          • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
            Ratings:
            +10,971
            How exciting. I will definitely get a hoghouse this year. I will also get one for my mum's house as she had a hog that visited too.

Been down to the greenhouse this morning to check on the soap foam to kill the greenfly. It looks like it worked...lots of greenfly corpses piled at the bottom of the plant. hoorah!

• Like Like x 1
            • Verdun

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Me too....I know there are a couple of hedgehogs in the garden. About time I offered them better lodgings :)
              Sunny here:SUNsmile: very pleasant. Potted on echeverias, again. Some are flowering but all have been growing fast. They should be ok to go outside in a few weeks....a couple have been outside all winter so far:) salvias too, Amistad, Love n Wishes, Waverley and others. Plus agastaches Blue Boa.
              A gh, conservatory, home made poly tunnel and more are full of protected plants.....running out of space, as usual, but many of them will cope unprotected soon:)

• Like Like x 1
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,485
                I've been doing more weeding and clearing

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 4
                • Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  Planted out another daphne I had grown from cuttings....now a garden size flowering shrub :)
                  Still sunny, warm and dry...ideal for gardening jobs:)

• Like Like x 2
                  • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                    Ratings:
                    +54,374
                    Evening everyone, hope you've all had a good day!
                    Enjoyed a good day in my Dad's garden today, it's quite sheltered compared to our wind tunnel!!
                    Weeded and dug over all his wildlife garden, it's been sadly neglected for a few years so it took some digging! Seeds will be sown next week probably.
                    Sorted out his Phormium, removing sections as it was showing signs of dampness and rot at the base, hopefully by thinning it out more air circulation will be created. Deadheaded all his Hydrangeas removing lots of old dead branches as well.
                    Checked over all his over wintering Geraniums in his small greenhouse, bringing them out to be base watered and to get an airing.
                    Had a good rummage through the big greenhouse where my Mum did most of her propagtion work and manage to gather a huge sack of flower pots. As I am now seed sowing for my Dad's garden as well as ours I was fast running out of pots!
                    Finally checked over his lemon tree which is also over wintering in the smaller greenhouse for any signs of scale insects ( none:)) and gave it a feed.
                    So all in all a very productive day, but must admit that now I've stopped I can feel the aches!:)

• Like Like x 3
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +8,508
                      Well its stopped raining for the moment but still rather windy. Got out and carried on with preparing the area for the rambling roses , put some small drainage pipes in the wall for a bit of insurance but i don't think they will be necessary, also rebuilt and improved the dry stone wall while I was at it. The second area where Ghilaine de F is being planted went well just the odds stone 5 min job , so when the roses turn up I'll be able to get them in the ground right away :)

My second box of bulbs hasn't turned up today hopefully tomorrow . I want to be in though so I am sat in all day, I do have a note saying leave in the GH but it so windy and tomorrow the carriers don't shut the door properly on the GH sometimes

• Like Like x 5
                      • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,988
                        Been pricking out my Toms and Chillies and mulching my Roses.

• Like Like x 5
                        Thread Status:
                        Not open for further replies.