1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What mower should we buy for our large lawn?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Mikethebook, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Mikethebook

Mikethebook Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My wife and I, in our late fifties and not gardeners, have suddenly inherited the maintenance of a large garden the main problem being the 1,000 m2 of grass. About 75% is made up of 3 largish and 2 small areas of rough, bumpy and often winding lawn, the remaining 25% I would describe as even rougher orchard grass. With a 41cm push mower (petrol, rotary), mowing takes about a tiring 3hrs. My question is what kind (type, blade width even make and model if you want) of mower should we buy to reduce the time and effort involved?

I've come across mulching mowers and wonder if they would provide part of the answer though I'm concerned about damp grass (we live in the Scottish Highlands so waiting for bone dry grass is hardly an option), and my wife about the possibility of trailing mulched grass into the house.

We're complete beginners and would welcome any help we can get.

Many thanks

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    get an etesia pro ... best mower in my honest opinion, and the one favoured by many pro landscapers .... self propelled and will pick up grass even in heavy rain

they are expensive new, but wait 3-4 weeks and buy a used bargain off ebay ... if it's too far to collect, get a man with a van to deliver (we had a 1940's vintage bicycle for my daughter delivered from wales to cambridge for £50)

send it in for a full service, and have a new blade fitted ... will cost you approx £100

but bear in mind, a new one can cost nearly £1500+ ... you can pick up a good used one on ebay for under £300 in a few weeks time

3. Mikethebook

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dim. They sounds really good but living on the NE tip of Scotland, getting anything here is always difficult and expensive. Plus I'd rather buy something that could be serviced locally and their nearest service agent is a seven hour drive away. But I'll keep my eye on eBay and see what crops up. What size of blade would you suggest for our garden? 53 cm?

4. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    your garden is 1000 sq meters (1/4 acre) ... a larger blade will be nice, but not necessary as it will take a few minutes extra to mow, but make sure thatyou buy a self propelled mower

another good mower to look at is the old Hayter 56 or 48 pro mowers (not the new ones, as there have been many complaints) .... not as good as the Etesia (in my opinion), but does ok in wetter grass and gives stripes which the etesia does not

massport is also good ..... many mowers use the same engines such as Briggs and Stratton/honda/kawasaki, so most/all mower service centres will have the spares and the knowlege to service them

if you have many curves in your garden, a larger mower may be difficult to manouever

if there are few curves, consider a sit on mower? .... but be careful as some that have grass catchers/boxers do not work well in the wet

as for basic servicing, it's actually dead easy .... change the plug every few months (costs under £4) .... drain and change the oil on a regular basis (30hrs of mowing), oil all the joints, sharpen and balance the blade once a season, and replace the airfilter on a regular basis (or wash it)

in winter, drain the oil and petrol ...

if the machine smokes, change the carburetter diaphram (costs approx £12) and takes 10 minutes to sort

any other maintenance is a bit more complex and may need professional servicing

if you are looking at new, here is a good site that will be you an idea on prices:
    Lawnmowers from Lawnmowers Direct ? Cylinder Mowers, Rotary Mowers

5. Mikethebook

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dim. A sit-on mower wouldn't work because of the inaccessibility of some areas of lawn.

Our local garden centre are agents for Hayter, John Deere and Mountford (currently we're using a 24 year old Hayter 41) and I was looking at Hayter's R53 as a possibility but as you say turning a larger machine is more difficult. But what are your thoughts on mulching, even a dedicated mulcher. Do they cope with damp grass and is there a danger of mulched grass being walked into the house? I was interested in John Deere's Mulcher which has front caster wheels for manouverability.

6. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    Mike, I'm not really a fan of mulching all the time if I can help it (perhaps once or twice in the season is OK for me) .... but I'm no expert and am sure others will comment favourabily

however, as far as muching is concerned, it will save you time emptying the grass box

there are mowers which have a mulching function aswell as normal cutting/collecting, that will give you the option to either mulch, or to pick the grass cuttings up

7. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    this snippet from another forum in the USA as regards mulching wet grass:

snip:
    I've NEVER found ANY mower that would mulch wet
    grass. An accumulation of wet grass under the deck
    prevents it from happening and bogs the mower down
    eventually choking it out. It just isn't good. I've
    used Snappers, with a Ninja blade, Ariens, Toro,
    Lawn Boy with mulching blades, Gator blades, etc...
    and ALL...the same result with wet grass. Don't mean
    to be so negative with your topic, but....it's just
    my experience when trying to mulch wet grass.

------------------------------------

don't know how true it is, but research properly before spending

8. Mikethebook

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. That's helpful. Have you anything to add regarding choice of mower based on the roughness/bumpyness our lawns especially the orchard areas?

9. Mikethebook

Ratings:
    +0
  10. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    like I said earlier, and based on my own experience, the Etesia Pro would be my 1st choice of mower, as it can pick up grass that is wet and is self propelled ... and gets good reviews by landscapers

as far as the bumpiness, raise the mower height in those areas, and it should be fine

if you intend buying new, ask the garden centre / lawnmower supplier for a demo on a few mowers and see which one does best for you ... you could also hire a mower for a day to try it out before comitting

here are the specs of the etesia pro 46 (there are larger models available) ... for a few extra pounds, you can buy the mulching kit/attachment aswell
    Lawnmowers PRO 46 PHTB | Etesia mower

11. Mikethebook

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dim for all your help!!

12. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    pleasure and good luck!

:dbgrtmb:

13. Jack Turner

Jack Turner Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mike,

You are definitely going to want to stick with a petrol powered lawn mower and I think you have two basic options.

1) Get a self-propelled mower that takes the strain may shave some time off
    2) Get a lawn tractor / ride-on mower to really speed things up

I think you will want to get a mower that can both mulch, so you need to feed it less, and also collect so you aren't building up too much thatch and organic matter on the lawn but most of the decent petrol mowers will do this and certainly all the tractors and ride-ons will.

Best of luck - Jack.

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,493
    I have one of the mowers that dim has recommended and I can definitely recommend it also. It is the Hayter 56. I've had it for over 15 years and had no trouble with it. I'm useless at DIY servicing and have it serviced at a local mower service centre every two years.

It is self propelled (not ride on) with a key start (battery) as well as a pull start (that cost me about £70 extra when new). I have quite a bit more grass to mow than you do and it copes easily. The height of the cut can be adjusted by just pulling a lever and will cope with uneven ground.

Using a mower for mulching is not a good idea unless you are mowing frequently and on dry grass and I guess you don't want to mow too often (even if the wet weather will let you). It mows OK in wet grass but can clog up where the collecting bag meets the mower because the wet grass is too heavy to be thrown right to the back of the bag. That just means emptying it more frequently and a quick sweep with your hand will clear the clogged grass. I have even mowed in the rain :dbgrtmb:

15. ixithepatriot

ixithepatriot Apprentice Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +9