1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What power Scythe?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by chilswell, Apr 11, 2022.

1. chilswell

chilswell Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I am looking for recommendations for power Scythes for making Hay. I have a few acres of land that I want to use it on to make Hay. Unfortunately I am on a budget, so really don’t want to spend more than £500 (new or used) There are a few vintage machines, such as the Oxford Allen Scythe, but many are now more than 50 years old, so not sure if they are up to the job? Before anyone suggests it, I don’t want to pay someone else or rent a machine. I would rather buy something and do it myself. Does anyone have any recommendations for power Scythes?

2. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,919
    Try looking at Agri sale site's as you maybe able to buy a cheap but small tractor and a disc/drum mower
    I don't know any thing about power scythes but if i'm think right they may be quite small

• Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,131
      I think a power scythe wouldn't be up to the job of cutting a few acres. I'd be looking at a small tractor like an old fergie. Then you can use that to subsequently turn the hay with a tedder - that needs doing every day by the way. Then how are you going to bale it? A reliable baler would cost as much as a tractor. Once you have invested in the equipment you will have it for years to come.

• chilswell

chilswell Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Well I have done whole fields with a manual Scythe before, which takes forever. If you look at the old Oxford Allen Scythe, they claim to be able to do an acre in 2 hours. Thats an massive step up from doing it manually. Bailing is not a problem as its for my own use. I just load it loose into a large old cart which I tow into the barn. Yes a tractor would be ideal, but I don't want to spend that sort of money.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,131
        I don't have experience of a power scythe only made hay with tractors etc. There was one field an odd shape, a paddock really, that we couldn't get machines in, so the men used scythes to cut wheat by hand 3 men for one acre took all day including stooking them. That was a long time ago.
        If you are storing hay loose then I guess it doesn't matter about being turned and dried. Bales heat up and lose their goodness if they are made with damp grass.
        Sorry I'm not much help.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,915
        I feel a song coming on.
        "One man went to mow, went to mow a meadow, one man and his dog etc. etc.:biggrin:

Just ignore me.:rolleyespink:

• Funny Funny x 1