1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

what 's the best unheated propagator you've used?

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by james swann, Oct 25, 2012.

1. james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
    +141
    As the title asks, what's the best unheated propagator you have used? best on price and quality? makes models links anything will do :D

thank you muchly :D

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    Hi James

For the xta money ie £20 you can get a heated propagator Amazon have lots off offers on at the moment as the season is over with, the price normally goes up in the spring and summer , which will open up the world for sowing and growing lots of seeds/cuttings which you woudnt be able to grow or strugle with , I only use mine for about 8 weeks a year but it has paid for itself many times over , Sankey are a good simple make and easy to use , try and get the one that suits your needs, no need to go over the top lots of styles some that fit on the window sill if you are lacking space

Spruce

3. james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
    +141
    Hi spruce, thanks for your reply, sorry i think i worded it wrongly. personally i use a large double size thermostatic vitopod. Kind of wondering what affordable ones are available? are pretty strong as looking at putting together some basic chilli growing kits for a few people and need it to be as affordable as possible.

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    Still say Sankey "cheap as chips"

probably me not reading it correctly ;):biggrin:

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Not sure why you would want an unheated propagator?

For retaining moisture etc I just put a clear plastic bag over the pot and secure with an elastic bag around the pot (if the pot bottom is open), or put the whole pot inside a zip-lock plastic bag.

6. james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
    +141
    because theyre cheap and serve a purpose of popping chilli seeds alot easier than having loads of plastic bags hanging around kristen.

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Sorry, but I'm still not understanding something.

I only grow a couple of varieties of chillies, so I don't know much about them, but I thought they benefited from bottom heat to germinate?

I don't see how putting a plastic bag over a pot is "having loads of plastic bags hanging around"? They take up no more space than the pot itself? :scratch: Some people use clingfilm instead (although I have found that that tends not to "cling" very well to pots)

My heated propagator takes 1/4 sized seed trays. I find them convenient because I can grow relatively small amounts of seed in each one - i.e. several different varieties in a number of such trays, without taking up lots of space. In common with larger seed trays they are relatively shallow, so ideal for seed germination, and they come with clear plastic "propagator style" lids - with close-able air vents etc. Maybe they would do for you? The brand I use are Garland, because they match my propagator, but I expect that other brands make a similar sized tray / lid

[​IMG]
    http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/acatalog/Garland-Mini-High-Dome-Plant-Propagator-G85.html

8. james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
    +141
    Hi, yes they do benefit from heat to germinate, doesn't necessarily have to be bottom radiating, could come from any angle but the most efficient is from the bottom. to get the best out of the seed im giving them, its best to plant multiple seeds 1" apart as we regularly attain 95% success with germinating our saved seed, its easier than having lots of pots and is a bit nicer as when you have 15+ seedlings which ideally will get to theyre second true set prior to being pricked out, it can get alot more crowded in smaller pots and never been a fan of discarding healthy seedlings.
    :D thanks for the link, i will look into it!

9. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
    Take a walk along the shelves at any supermarket. There are plastic trays of everything and clear plastic trays as well. Take a tape measure and match up a dark coloured plastic tray to a clear one. A short length of redundant hose pipe split along one side will clip them together and stop the clear tray blowing off in a breeze.

I'd go out to the shed and photograph one of mine. . .but it's raining!:dbgrtmb:

Cost. negligiable. Cheers, Tony.

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      That is all my unheated props are , a seed tray with a plastic lid with vents. Wilkos finest :blue thumb: I have small ones ,half tray size and a couple of full tray size . Can you get better than a tray with a perspex lid ?

• james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
      +141
      cheers muchly for all your replies :D

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      I have never bought an unheated propagator as such. I have always bought seed trays at £1 or less, and seperate transparent tops for £1. I have 20 or more of these combinations, but they have never cost more than £2 each. The tops don't have vents which makes them cheaper - so what. If you want to ventilate them (I usually don't) you put the top on at a slight angle so it doesn't fit perfectly.

Now a heated propagator is a different matter - that is something that is worth paying for - but I only ever buy the cheapest.

• Like Like x 1