What`s Up with my raspberries?!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Krista, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Krista

Krista Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Hi people,I`m an irregular poster but no one else has a convincing answer so do your best! Some canes are normal and producing as usual. Having watered them well during the dry spell I`m getting a normal crop.But,and I noticed it first last year, some canes are growing ridiculously tall(and, of course, then flopping inconveniently over)and there`s no fruit on these gangly canes. Someone has suggested these could be summer fruiting ones(which I cut back in the winter not thinking that`s what they might be) but if that`s the case where have they come from and are they always that tall?
    Then there`s the yellow berries! :noidea: Suckers.jpg Yellow berries!.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi,

Without knowing the variety name its hard to know if its an autumn or summer fruiting type ?

Seems the difference is quiet supple and probably more down to the pruning regime.

My summer fruiting ones are doing exactly like yours, they have put up very high new canes that should be giving next years fruit.

Normally you would cut out the old fruited canes when they have finished fruiting and tie in 4 - 6 of these strongest new canes, but I would cut their height back to the top of your support wires which should encourage plenty of fruiting side shoot/spurs.

• Like Like x 2
      • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        @Krista your yellow raspberries look like All Gold to me and this is the correct time for them to fruit.

The tall ones could be of a different variety to the others as the old chap on the next plot to ours over at our allotments bought two different varieties and one lot grows to over 6ft tall and he has had to tie them to steaks so that they don’t flop.He has also found this tall variety gives much larger fruit than the shorter ones.I don’t think he will be able to remember the variety of the tall ones because we asked that question a few years ago and he said he didn’t know then.I can’t remember whether he bought them off of eBay or from a garden centre:smile:

• Like Like x 1
        • Krista

Ratings:
          +26
          They have been there so long I no longer have any idea what variety was originally planted.They were all the same variety till last year!!No All Gold(or whatever they actually are) & NO summer fruiters! That`s what`s so odd! :thud:
          And those tall ones have grown quite a bit more since that photo! It`s not a subtle difference any more-they are flopping over making the ripe berries hard to collect.
          But it sounds from Ricky`s response as if I have acquired some that are summer fruiters. That`s not really very convenient-two sorts in the same bed. :-/ If that`s the problem,how easy are they to get rid of without ruining the others? I can`t imagine digging them out will be a piece of cake.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Cassie

Cassie Gardener

Ratings:
            +201
            How mysterious!

Could some of your raspberries have dropped seed that has germinated and not grown true?

I wonder how those golden raspberries have got there :/

• Krista

Ratings:
            +26
            Oh easily Cassie! I miss ripe ones-they fall. I even throw ones that are damaged on the raspberry bed. In the end some are bound to germinate.So perhaps they can revert to summer fruiting and mutate to `golden`?!!! Damn-these lanky ones make picking the fruit that`s coming now much harder and it`ll be the devil`s own job to ID and dig out all the tall ones.
            If this CAN happen other people must have experienced it; has anyone? And how have they dealt with it?