What Seeds Can Be Sown Now?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by kyleleonard, May 16, 2016.

1. kyleleonard

kyleleonard Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +950
    Are there any seeds which can be sown now which will flower this year, or is it too late?

I haven't been able to sow much this year (at my parents') due to the rain and random snow, but I think it's gone past the time where anything which flowers would need to have been sown months ago?

Any suggestions welcome - I have a big box of seeds at their house which I can have a look at tomorrow.

Thanks! (this thread may help others, too?)

Kyle

• Like Like x 1
    • kyleleonard

Ratings:
      +950
      I think I'll sow some mixed Cosmos seeds this week - I've grown them every year for the past 6 or so years, so would be nice to continue this, hopefully they'll flower if sown now, though.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,653
        A lot of flowers will do OK if sown direct now, we sowed some sunflowers 2 weeks ago and they have only just germinated, also have just sown poppies, so there is plenty of time.

• Like Like x 1
        • kyleleonard

Ratings:
          +950
          Hope so! I did sow a fair bit in March, but with the snow and cold weather it didn't amount to much, just a few seedlings survived in my plastic greenhouse.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • kyleleonard

Ratings:
            +950
            In the greenhouse / indoors
            • If you struggle to grow delphiniums, try growing the annual larkspur for similar flowers.Start them off in pots in the greenhouse.
            • For everlasting flowers for drying try sowing Helipterum indoors now.
            • Brighten up your summer bedding by growing Salvia. Start them off indoors this month.
            • Start to sow biennial plants in seed trays for transplanting later on. Grow foxgloves, sweet william and wallflowers for flowering next year.
            • Sow perennial plants such as Delphiniums , Lupins , Aquilegia and Primula in seed trays now for flowering next year and for years to come!

Direct sow outdoors
            • Direct sow sunflowers where they are to flower now.
            • Grow nasturtiums either in pots or directly outdoors in your borders and containers.
            • Direct sow poppies , cornflowers and scabious to attract bees and butterflies to your garden. For more ideas on how to attract wildlife into your garden, click here.
            • Try direct sowing godetias (Clarkia) for easy colour in your flower beds this summer.
            • Direct sow candytuft around the edge of your beds for easy colour.
            • Direct sow limnanthes to attract beneficial insects to your garden and vegetable plot.
            • Try sowing linaria where they are to flower to fill your beds and borders with vibrant colour.
            • Nigella have most unusual shaped flowers with very attractive seed pods too. They can be direct sown this month.

Credit - Thompson Morgan - http://www.thompson-morgan.com/what-to-sow-and-grow-in-may

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1