What should I do.????

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Marley Farley, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    [​IMG] Hi all,
    My Crinum Powellii lily is just flowering for the first time. :D
    I was going to plant it out, then the flower shoot appeared so didn't. It is bursting the pot so my dilemma is, should I plant out in the autumn or should I re-pot it instead. I am now being given conflicting bits of information as to overwintering it inside ir out. :confused:
    It has spent some winters in greenhouse & some outside. So what do you think it would like best???????????????????????????
    [​IMG]

[ 08. August 2005, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,381
    Hi Marley, I planted two clumps out a couple of years ago and no problems on hardiness yet.
    I just give it a covering of old leaves etc. and it seems fine. I dont think I would plant it out too late so its got time to establish a bit before the frost kills off the leaves and growth stops.

3. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,124
    [​IMG] Hi Pete,
    I have got a nice sheltered place in mind, but was put off from putting it out as was told it probobly wouldn't flower. It has quite a few babies round it too. So from what you are saying it will be ok, will clump up a bit more & flower again if outside. Yesssssss thankyou. :D

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,381
    Got to admit it might miss next years flowers, but once established it just gets better and better.
    Have you noticed anything strange about the flower stalks?
    They dont come from the centre of the leaves, but straight up from the ground.

5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,124
    Hi Pete,
    Yes I had noticed they come from the side. I thought it was another baby to start with, but each day it is getting better. The roots are incredibly strong on it, so will plant when flowering over. Plenty of mulch dug in first or what???? [​IMG]

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,381
    I did nothing on my clay, just dug a big hole and dropped them in. In fact the top soil is pretty shallow only about 10 in. then solid clay and stones. Guess once the roots get into the clay there's always moisture.

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,124
    Hi Pete,
    No clay here, I am lucky to have beautiful light loamy soil, but it is very free draining, will this cause me any problems, as I know lilies like pleny of moisture, that was why I was wondering about digging anything in first, what do you think. Otherwise I shall plant it when it has finished flowering. :confused: [​IMG]

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,381
    Well it cant hurt to dig in some organic matter, can it? should get them off to a good start, mine were bone dry earlier in the year, but now we've had some rain they're flowering pretty good.
    Wether they would have flowered so well without the rain ,I dont really know.

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,124
    [​IMG] I thought it would be ok to dig in some of my compost first, just wanted your opinion before I did it. Do yours have any scent at all as mine don't seem to, shame, but never mind as they are very handsome stood there. Thanks for your help Pete, will plant out as I say when finished flowering. [​IMG] [​IMG]