1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved What sort of philadelphus is this?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Sian in Belgium, May 30, 2018.

1. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    IMG_4979.JPG
    My mum has this lovely philadelphus in her garden. The scent is amazing! I am thinking of trying to take some cuttings - I know that it is the wrong time of year for hardwood cuttings, but seeing as I don't know how much longer mum will be living here... any tips for taking cuttings now gratefully received!

IMG_4980.JPG
    Dad was very proud of this plant - I thought he said it was a tree paeony, but I'm not to sure... it seems to be spreading from the base. (There's a rogue Japanese anemone in front of it). Again, I'm wondering if I can propagate it, and am thinking of trying to remove a rooted section from the base of the plant. Would this work?
    IMG_4981.JPG
    A close-up of the lovely flowers.

IMG_4982.JPG
    These seedlings are popping up in the gravel next to the "paeony". At first, I thought they were its babies. But now I'm not so sure. The leaves seem sharper, and longer...
    I
    (A side-on shot of the plant, showing the stem structure) IMG_4984.JPG

(Apologies in advance, I know I have asked about two of these plants before...)

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Philadelphus aureus Sian :)
      Lovely to propagate something so sentimental too.....its what gardening is about I think.
      I would wait until flowering is over, the correct pruning time, and take some of the new shoots ideally about 3" long. They will root over the summer outdoors in a shady sheltered position. Or, take hardwood cuttings at the end of summer.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
        Ratings:
        +3,253
        • Like Like x 1
        • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +9,233
          Thank you both for your help!

I think I have got some of the hellebores established already back in Belgium, but I will probably take some more. The foliage is lovely, and knowing dad, it may well be one of the scented varieties.

The philadelphus is just gone over the peak flowering time. I will be heading back on Saturday, so I will try to take some this visit, and again this autumn.

I will do some googling about the paeony, to see if it might be possible now...

Thank you again - I hope to be able to capture some memories!!

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Memories are so precious Sian :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1