1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

what sunnt plants to use

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by duckyjuk, Jun 11, 2007.

1. duckyjuk

duckyjuk Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to know what sort of plants to put in FULL sun and I mean FULL sun I get no shade there at all...The geranium is the only one was hasent got burnt..hope you can help..

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,931
    I think it might be a good idea to say what has got burnt, most bedding plants tend to like sun, with just a few exeptions.
    Could it be that the plants in question were not hardened off to outside conditions or were perhaps grown in total shade.

3. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    What is the soil like? Is it a good moisture retentive soil or is it bit dry? Is it out in the open and exposed or is it a sheltered sun trap facing South?

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,477
    Most South African plants can withstand full sun and comparatively dry conditions such as Gazania Osteospermum (Cape Dasies), Lampranthus, Agapanthus and the American Blanket Flower family Gaillardia, for a few.

5. duckyjuk

duckyjuk Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    the
    soil is very dry..and exposed to sun all day long.and the plants i have in it are cape daisies.gazania what have died.the geraniums are doing fine.and the lavatitia.califoria poppys died to.

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,931
    The gazanias and the cape daisys should have been OK I would have thought. Did you water them for a while to help them establish?
    I still tend to think they needed hardening off.
    Lavatera and cal poppy, as far as I know dont transplant well and are best sown where they are going to flower.

7. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes i have had gazanias in a stone tub that gets very dry and they just flower their heads off.
    Perennials - lavender, yuccas.

8. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    An old favorite of mine is Centranthus ruber (red valerian). You can see it growing out of walls several feet up. It loves it dry and it flowers for such a long time. It survives because it has a tap root.

9. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    Sounds also like you need to get some moisture retaining material into your soil too. Manure or compost or such like would help no end. Then once you have planted and watered (or after a good does of rain) mulch over the soil with bark or compost to keep the roots of the plants cooler and wetter.

10. duckyjuk

duckyjuk Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your advice