1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with Acacia baileyana

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by CarolineL, May 19, 2020.

1. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,330
    I tend to grow an awful lot of things from seed without thinking through where I'll put them. For example, I currently have small plants of acacia longifolia, drummondi, pataczeki, cincinnata, retinodes, acinacea, julifera and large ones of boormanii, pravissima and baileyana. And that's the problem - the baileyana flowers well, and has a lovely glaucous leaf, but is getting far too tall for the greenhouse. I have pruned it, but has anyone ever managed it in the garden for any length of time? I know it's not as hardy as dealbata or pravissima, but is it worth a chance? Anyone tried boormanii outside?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Ask @strongylodon , he had one for a while if I remember correctly.
    I dont think its very hardy, I did have one some years ago and it died on me, cant remember why.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    I'm trying to think which Acacia it was that grew into a tree for me before one really cold winter wiped it out.

Edit, remember, A. melanoxylon, grew for years before it died, last winter Paraserianthes lophantha survived on my allotment, so they are going to get big before next winter.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,415
    I have had Acacia longifolia, A baileyana and baileyana purpurea, none survived temperatures of -5c without damage but -7/8c killed them outright. Trouble is that they all grow rapidly, If you don't get such cold (even brief) temperatures as I do here you maybe lucky.

5. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,311
    Hi Caroline, it's a gamble, but that's what we do isn't it? The last three winters were pussycats...will things continue like that...who knows? Good drainage can swing things in your favour and swathing the trunks and lower branches in fleece can make all the difference. But given the Acacia's normal flowering period, it'll probably get frosted before the buds open, or during. How convinced are you by 'global warming' theories?

6. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,330
    Hmmm, thanks for the responses - I may just give it a bash - after all, as @noisette47 says - it's all a gamble! And as @strongylodon says, they grow rapidly so trying again would not take long. I now live in a much milder (though wetter) place than I used to. My acacia costiniana there used to flower at random times and withstood some reasonably tough winters - but the real nasty back about 10 years ago (when was it? Got to -15 with us) even killed A. pataczeki which is supposed to be tough.

• Like Like x 2