1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with an overgrown Laurel Hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Barry79, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Barry79

Barry79 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I recently bought a house with a laurel hedge that hasn't been pruned for years, as shown in the picture. It is around 12 foot tall. The hedge is protruding through the picket fencing. The trunks are located about a foot behind the fence.

Can I cut this hedge down to around six feet?, which I think would be a reasonable height for a hedge. How far down should I cut it the first time? I'll have to reduce it in width rather substantially also in order to get at the top and I don't want it protruding through the fence. There is also a few yards to the right of the hedge where I would like to continue the hedge. If I plant laurel plants there, am I likely to have a consistent laurel hedge at some point in the future?

When can I attack the hedge? Should I wait until there is no risk of frost or can I start now.

Thanks for your advice,
    Barry

Attached Files:

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hiya Barry
    You can cut your hedge back as hard as you like. No, I wouldnt cut it in stages. Get it to just below your desired height so to about 5'
    Now is a good time .....maybe wait a couple more weeks in case of frost but I would not delay. It will respond quickly.
    Yes, you can add more laurel to extend your hedge.....again, now is an ideal time for this :)

• Like Like x 1
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,090
      Go for it now. Birds may not have eggs in nests yet. I would throw a bit of growmore sround the roots to give it some extra help in re growing quickly.

• Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +9,233
      Yes, go for it asap, before the birds are nesting/have chicks hatching. At the start of March, we had our laurel hedges cut to 2 metres - 6 foot. Some parts were over 5 metres tall, so yes, drastic cutting was involved. We have cut laurel back this drastically before. It may sulk for up to a year, but it will come back!

It's pitch black out there at the moment, but I'll take some photos tomorrow, so you can see what you can actually do with laurel...

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      :sign0016: to the forum @Barry79. You need to check for nests, and do it a bit quick smart :smile: