What to do with Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Passport1, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Hi

My lawn took bit of bashing with last year weather extremes - the snow early in the year and then the intense heat in the summer when couldn't water it due to hosepipe ban

It now looks like the attached pics - lot of moss - no grass in places; lot of weeds, just the soil exposed, growth of grass to varying degrees in other places

Is it beyond redemption and just needs to be dug up and re-seeded or can anything be done to help restore it to healthy state for summer ahead

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    If it were my lawn, I'd dig it up and re-turf it. It doesn't look that big. You could otherwise spend hours and a lot of money trying to salvage it.
    The thing with turf, is you don't want to do it too early in the year, or when it's particularly warm.
    If you're buying turf from a garden centre, you have to choose the right time to buy it. It's usually displayed outside on the pallet on which it arrives and is left there to bake in the sun. It's advisable to find out what day it's being delivered and go for it that afternoon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      I agree with DHR, viz., dig it over, except I would seed it Passport1:)
      Doesn’t look too big an area.
      Trench in that turf, face down, firm and level it well and reseed early in April :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,259
        Has moss always been an issue?
        Ive seen lawns worse than that and after a iron treatment, a rake and then a feed through the summer they spring back.
        If it suffers moss issues you need to find out why, soil ph levels, shade, water issues or else it could return again and you will be faced with the same problem.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
          Ratings:
          +5,368
          @Liz the pot I fully agree with that. If you remember, I was on a lawn course a couple of years ago. Basically, everything said is what they taught on the course.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,078
            Just sprayed mine with the iron. Cant fix the shade issue so the yearly battle has started again ...:steamy:

• Like Like x 2
            • Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
              +22
              Thanks all for the replies and the recommendations - really appreciated

I was thinking myself of reseeding as opposed to re-turfing

@Liz the pot - Yes moss is an issue in it and amount of moss each year seems to increase....How would I find out if soil ph levels, shade, water issues are the source of the problem

Thanks

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                Ratings:
                +5,368
                pH levels can be checked using various methods. Meters are usually available at good garden centres. Make sure its calibrated correctly if you get one. Generally, its not possible to do much about shade and water.

A separate cause might just be using Iron Sulphate to kill off the moss for a couple of reasons. I stopped using it in favour of a different method after the course I mentioned in my previous post. No moss since.

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,259
                As Sandy stated you should be able to get a basic ph tester at a local garden centre and then you do a plotted test and record the results.
                Iron is great at controlling moss but you can alter the soil levels if too much is applied but you would have to apply a lot over time for this.
                Moss is a never ending issue for some, all you can do is ensure the grass is well cared for and put in place treatments that deter the moss.
                There are also products that attack the moss that don’t contain iron but they need good conditions to work best.