What to grow in the new polytunnel now!

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by Chillimad, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Chillimad

Chillimad The Chilli Grower

Ratings:
    +122
    Well it's nearly the end of August, and the 14' x 30' polytunnel is finally up and ready to receive!
    As this is our first real polytunnel (I don't really count the little thing at the allotment that we put up early this year), what should I be getting planted now that will be useful and see us into winter! Everything currently is going to be in pots, or the large builds bag style planters, although I do intend to put some raise beds in, but probably not until spring.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I grow Leaf Beet in the greenhouse (sown about now, or perhaps ideally a couple of weeks earlier) and although we don't get much crop [i.e. not enough light for a lot of growth] during the winter we get a good crop in the Spring before I rip it out to make space for Toms etc.

I've tried Winter Lettuce and decided it was a bit of a waste of time (nothing grows very fast, even the Winter varieties were not brilliant ...)

I try to grow Lambs Lettuce. Again ideally sow a bit earlier than now as the seedlings grow very slowly ... but its more tollerant of cold miserable conditions than Winter Lettuce varieties IME.

Dunno if too late, but I grow dwarf French beans for a late Autumn crop. There are some varieties (like "Speedy" or a similar name) that crop pretty quickly. French Beans are self fertile, so don't need insects to pollinate them, hence OK in greenhouses even in late Autumn when the insects are shutting-up-shop for the Winter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,996
      Do you mean Ferrari? If so I thought they're supposed to perform better in Spring (I've just cleared out WilkinsonPlus of their last Ferrari seeds now they're 50% off online - never seen them instore). The variety I've seen recommended most for Autumn cropping is Pongo.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I didn't, but that sounds like it has great sow-to-reap acceleration!

I've gone and got my packet. Its got "Speed seeds" blazoned on the packet and is called ... "Speedy" :)

It says "Ready to eat in just 7-8 weeks"

Doesn't say anything about sowing an Autumn though, so worth looking out for a suitable cultivar. Not heard of Pongo, I'll look out for that, ta.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,996
      Some info from the place where I got my Pongo bean seeds from (only I got them from their stall at a local event to save paying P&P):

Speedy -
      Pongo -

• Like Like x 1