1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What to plant around bird feeding station in the lawn?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Selleri, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,684
    We have a shady corner in front of the back livingroom window where I'm planning to stand our new all sing and dance birdfeeding station :wub2:

I'd love to plant some bird friendly plants around the pole, but would need advise. The main constraint is the lack of sun, and I also don't want anything to creep into the surrounding lawn. Seedlings should be fine with regular mowing (forever the optimist! :biggrin: )

The area is ok condition lawn, with a path between it and the house so filling the feeders should be easy.

I have thought about Rosa Rugosa, which will survive anywhere and I happen to have an extra one in a pot, or teasel for winter interest, or just annuals (beans?) for the summer. Or maybe a honeysuckle climbing the pole of the feeder?

I don't want a formal "bed", just some planting around the pole to make it more natural. Ideally I'd like to have something to soften the view over winter so I'd like to have something more than summer flowers.

Any ideas please?

Thanks! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      Without a picture it is difficult to advise but the main requirement around a bird feeding station is cover. Birds feel safer feeding when not completely exposed. They like shrubs and bushes to dive into when they feel threatened, for example when a predator approaches. What is already in the nearby location and how close are the nearest bushes?

• KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      Hi Selleri , four shrubs come to my mind straight away........... Ribes for Spring flowers/berries then Pyracantha and Cotoneaster for later flowers and Autumn berries and of course Holly for Winter berries.

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,684
      Thanks Redwing and KFF! :) I agree, a shrub would probably be a good choice. The feeding station will be on the house end of a triangular lawn which ends in a lovely, mature ivy and bramble covered wall, the distance is about 6 meters. (Pardon my measurement units, I'm a Finn :biggrin: ) Sparrows already happily take bread crumbs from the back steps and there are a few other visitors who are currently feasting on the ivy delights.

I had thought about Ribes, there are some lovely kinds which don't give much berrywise for humans but look nice and might make the birds happy. Cotoneaster is a dilemma, there are some plants growing in the neighbourghood but they look sickly. Perhaps the soil is not to their liking? (No idea what's under the grass but judging by the front garden beds we might have muddy clay soil here)

Pyracantha is unfortunately out of question until I overcome a childhood trauma with the plant :sad:

For practical purposes, it would be great if the shrub(s) didn't block the way to fill the feeders too much, or be too prickly. I guess my Rugosa doesn't fit the bill...

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,618
        @Selleri - we have that very bird feeder, and it is pretty good, BUT - - - top tip, coat the screws with vaseline or they will rust like hell. Also, watch the plastic dish in winter - if it fills with water, then freezes, it will split the plastic

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Hi Selleri, one of the other things that happens with Bird Feeders is that birds are not the neatest of eaters and tend to throw seed onto the ground.
          [​IMG]

So you'll find you might not have to plant things as the seeds will grow all sorts of plants if left in the soil:dunno::heehee:

[​IMG]
          [​IMG]

I've put plastic dishes on the bottoms of my Bird Feeders to stop the inevitable spillage but I still get some on the borders underneath:wallbanging::heehee:

• Like Like x 1
          • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,830
            Ivy is perfect cover. It is also an excellent plant for attracting birds as it’s full of insects and when mature it is one of the best wildlife plants as the berries are late and provide food when there isn’t much else around.

• Agree Agree x 3
            • Like Like x 1
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              Ok
              I am a fan of Rosa Rugosa :heehee:
              Then the Rugosa is out of the question. For one, those thorns can be as lethal as pyracantha (I'm a big fan of those too :heehee: ) plus, rugosas are suckering plants and could end up popping up into the surrounding lawn - which you clearly state you do not want to happen. However, one way around that issue would be to plant it in a large container. Bird friendly shrubs tend towards thorny shrubs because they offer better protection against predators, but, it seems thorns are not to be favoured in your case.

Do you know what type of soil you are working with?

The lack of sunlight is going to be the biggest deciding factor in what to grow (not so much the soil because, as I stated earlier, anything you really fancy could go in a pot if soil is the only issue).

So, what are we left with: shady corner, winter interest, bird friendly.

Mahonia would fit the bill and would attract birds, butterflies, moths and provide winter interest. The only downside is it can be suckering; but, as before, putting it in a large container would ease that issue.

• Like Like x 1
              • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                +7,684
                I guess one can learn to live with little pricks [​IMG]

Containers are a great idea. I have some evergreen honeysuckle which might be happy in the corner on the path as the tops would get reasonable light when it grows. If not, I can always take cuttings from the ivy :)

Mahonia might also look great, it has a good shape but unless I get lucky in Aldi it could be an investment to get something bigger than a toothpick... I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks everybody, great tips! :)

• Funny Funny x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                  At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                  Ratings:
                  +49,618
                  zipmouth.png

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                    Ratings:
                    +5,404
                    @Selleri , if you are worried about being attacked by a Pyracantha, you should be wary of Mahonia as it`s other (polite) name is ''razor blade bush'' :yikes:
                    Incidentally @''M'' I have never yet noticed a Mahonia that suckers ??
                    My choices for your bird feeding area would be a nice easy variegated Ligustrum (Privet) or maybe a Griselinia - green or variegated. These plants are soft, and easy enough to clip. The variegated Ligustrum can make a very handsome shrub if left to it`s own devices, and would give cover to birds.
                    Large grasses are valuable to birds as well - so I`ve noticed. During the winter months I see small birds feeding on the various Miscanthus plants I grow.
                    As @Redwing mentioned, good old Ivy is superb for the birds, and would look great climbing up to the feeders.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +31,885
                      They did at my campus, no idea on the variety though.

• Like Like x 1
                      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +31,885
                        Indeed! :heehee:

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                        Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                        Ratings:
                        +10,603
                        not sure where you live? or how cold your area gets. I would plant shrubs etc that the birds can hide in and be blocked by any hard winter winds. some nice dense conifers etc. I have my feeders near dense shrubs, so they can hover deep inside and fly out to eat, etc.

• Like Like x 1