1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What to plant in a shady dry spot?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by CazH1975, Sep 9, 2012.

1. CazH1975

CazH1975 Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    The title says it all, the space which I'd like to plant in is also in the shade of the neighbours huge tree (don't know what type it is). I'm slowly planting the border up but as the garden is 30m long its taking some time! Cheers!

2. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    You don't say if the tree is deciduous or not hopefully it is so the shade isn't too dense. Spring bulbs are a good bet and maybe have a look at the following which are just some of the things which I grow in a shady dry bed and do fine.

Alchemillia Mollis (the Alpina variety is much nicer than the more common variety IMO)
    Brunnera, really nice foliage.
    Some of the Euphorbia family.
    Lots of the Geranium family will cope well.
    Pulmonaria again quite nice foliage
    Tiarella some are very pretty
    Heucera Not sure about the more "exotic" coloured ones but the likes of Palace Purple/Plum Pudding will do ok altho they won't colour as well in shade.
    Shrubs , I personally don't really have any growing in dry shade, so best to let others give you good advice.
    Sure others on here will come up with more exciting ideas but the above will do a job in less than ideal growing conditions.

3. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
  4. Grannie Annie

Grannie Annie Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,631
    :wow: you've got quite a stretch of border to work on. My favourite for that sort of area has to be the hosta there are so many varieties but sadly it is also a favourite of the 'snail'. Many other choices , foxglove, heleborus, ivy and the vinca are always good ground covers. Other suggestions would be Pulmonaria, Liriopr muscari, Skimmia and Viburnum. Now is the time to get plenty of bulbs in - Narcissi, snowdrops and try the Wood Lily Trillium. Before planting work in plenty of organc matter and after planting keep everything well watered for a while.
    I am sure we would all love to see pics after your transformation. Happy gardening!