what to plant under conifers?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by odina, Mar 22, 2005.

1. odina

odina Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Just found this site and it looks great. I moved into my house last August and inherited a neglected once loved garden. It has lots of plants that I want to keep so I'm just adding all my favourites. The problem I have is running down the right hand side of the garden is a row of conifers that have the tops cut off (instead of a fence). The previous owners cut all the branches of so all I can see are the trunks...it looks rather ugly. can anyone suggest any climbers that will grow to cover this nasty site?
    Thanks

2. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Aww poor connifers. How would those previous owners like it if they had their heads and half their limbs cut off? Are these poor things still alive and if so are they likely to stay that way for long? Id seek expert advice. Might it be best to put them out of their misery and start again with something that you can look after and love? If not, the type of climber that might thrive would depend on the aspect and how much sun it will get.

Cloudy :cool:

3. odina

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cloudy,
    Thanks for your reply,
    I will eventually remove the conifers and put up a fence but with lack of funds I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to make them look more attractive. The other problem is ....its completly shady all day. I wondered if clematis montana would grow there?
    Odina

4. Penlan Perennials

Penlan Perennials Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Try Honeysuckle, especially Lonicera acuminata, which is evergreen and will make 15ft if you are a good weaver! Clematis montana will grow but you will still see the trees in the winter months.

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lonicera japonica "Halliana" is evergreen to semi-evergreen and copes with most aspects - grows to about 6m. You could try an Ivy (Hedera canariensis if the spot is shady)or the coral plant Berberidopsis corallina if you area is quite mild. Its evergreen & has clusters of red drooping flowers in summer/early autumn - grows to about 4.5m. I've seen (but not grown) the flame creeper, Tropaeolum speciosum, a perennial nasturtium, growing over yew hedges where the soil is bone dry at the base. Lovely red flowers, followed by fruits & lobed leaves - supposed to be hardy & easy but is herbaceous, grows to about 3m.
    Bayleaf [​IMG]

6. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again,

You have had lots of good suggestions from the others. My personal favorite is the honeysuckle because i just love the smell. Be careful not to get something that is TOO vigorous as it might do for the connifers. The Tropaeolum is lovely but it disappears completely in winter and ive found it to be a bit fussy about where it will grow. Just a thought but how about shrubs that will tolerate shade. Pyracantha, Hebe and Mahonia japonica are the only ones that spring to mind that might be able to tolerate the shade. Not sure if they could cope with very dry conditions tho.

Good luck

7. odina

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much everyone....You have all been a great help. I'm going to check out all of the suggestions that you have gven me...cant wait o see what happens
    odina