1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What TV? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ThePlantAssassin, Aug 11, 2020.

1. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    are there any tv buffs on here that can offer me any advice?

I want a 60"-65" tv to hang on my wall replacing my existing 50". the existing one weighs 11kg but all potential new ones are 22-24kg. Im confident that the bracket will support this as I had a 40" clunky panasonic plasma tv there a long time ago and I remember that weighing a ton!
    There are so many tv's to choose from. LCD LED OLED blah blah blah. Not really interested in the SMART capabilities as Ill probably turn as may off as possible. I dont want the Russians or Chinese listening to me talking to my cat!
    I already have a Samsung soundbar.
    What should I be looking for and are their any brands in particular that are pants or good? The specification lists are a mile long and being tech thick mean very little to me.
    can anybody help me please?

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    We have LG and Samsung TVs. The one at home is an LG going through a Virgin box, great picture no problem. We also had an LG at our caravan using the award winning LG WEBEX system, great picture quality but to view the program guide and change channels was a bit of a pain. We are just on the site digital aerial up there. We changed it for a Samsung 7000 series and this is great.
    We got the Samsung from RGB direct in London delivered in two days. The big big big TVs start at £799 and go up to £3799 - what on Earth do you get for £3799 :scratch: Is the picture 5 times better? Does it make you tea or coffee and toast in the morning? Maybe the digi savvi kids on here can answer that one:)
    SAMSUNG UE70TU7100, 70 inch Smart Ultra HD 4K LED TV Carbon SIlver FInish with Freeview

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Though going for a brand name is good starting point, warranty is another thing to check on, is it the shops extended free ? warranty or direct from the manufacturers, as they often have extra 2 or 3 year warranty as part of a sales promotion.
      Also is it return to them or onsite repair/replacement ?

Regardless of the above, you really need to see the model you want working in a shop.
      Its only when you see a couple of different models working side by side you can appreciate image quality.
      Currys being an obvious starting point to view plus any big independant tv retailers in your area.

We have a smaller LG model and its been very good, however when you go to such a large size you often find different brands make better models ?

Ckecking out magazines and online reviews can help -
      Best TVs to buy | What Hi-Fi?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ThePlantAssassin

NuttyFruitCake
        Ratings:
        +1,016
        @Harry

Thank you and WOW........... now that is some tv. Im trying to think of a reason not to buy it. Not sure my wall bracket is big/wide enough. I know it would take a 60 but a 70 is a lot wider. Not sure how to find out either

• ThePlantAssassin

NuttyFruitCake
        Ratings:
        +1,016
        @ricky101
        checked out the link tank you and it raises another question
        what is the difference between led oled and qled apart from price. surley led will still be a pretty good picture

• Like Like x 1
        • HarryS

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Never fitted a big TV to a wall. Someone would need to check that your bracket and attachment bolts are strong enough. I would think to mount a 65 - 70" TV is a two person job.
          On the question of LED versus Oled etc. Possibly the HD tv buffs can notice the difference but for 90% of us the LED tv gives a fantastic picture.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,203
          Did not have a clue until I watch a video like one of these, but the price difference from a standard LED tv is dramatic !

Worth a trip to a large Currys or similar shop who might have some of the Qleds on working display.

• ThePlantAssassin

NuttyFruitCake
          Ratings:
          +1,016
          Cant run to an OLED or QLED so Ive taken the plunge and bought a 65" Samsung LED. It will be good enough for what I want and miles better than what Im used to. Its being delivered next Friday. Plus I had SkyQ installed today. Good heavens I think I might need to go to an evening class to learn how to use it! I just keep turning the telly on an off and not getting into the menu at all. Got a good deal to upgrade but the rotten so and so's at Sky didn't tell me Id lose all my exiting recorded programmes and all my scheduled ones too!!! Im going to complain. What I'm really gonna kick up about most is that I followed instructions and cleaned and sterilised my house up to an operating theatres standard before the engineer came and he didn't even wear a mask OR gloves and was handing me remote controls etc and he didn't wipe anything down after he'd finished like they state he would. Im so pathetic and weak I was too embarrassed to tell him to. I've totally lost the ability to stand up for myself since I've become unwell. I'm hating myself right now.

• HarryS

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Complain, the engineer should have ppe and act responsibly. He should be disciplined.

• Agree Agree x 1