1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What type of hedge is this?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Carrie1983, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Carrie1983

Carrie1983 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    hi,

We've bought a house and inherited this hedge! It's looking a little worse for wear (very sparse in places) and I'd like to try and save it but have no idea what it is. That doesn't say much as I know nothing about gardening!!!! Any help would be appreciated xx

Attached Files:

2. Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
    Ratings:
    +10,739
    Hi Carrie and welcome to Gardener's Corner. :dbgrtmb:

I think your hedge is a Lonicera hedge. It looks like the previous owners haven't trimmed it for a year or two so it's got a bit straggly.

Now is a good time to trim it, as it will have a whole season to make new growth and thicken up again.

It's entirely up to you how much you want to cut it back really, if you want to keep it at roughly its present size, just trim off all the leggy growth to give it a more even shape and it will be fine.

If you wanted to though, you could cut it back much harder than that. Lonicera is pretty tough and will put up with being cut back hard, even to almost ground level, so if you want a smaller hedge you can reduce it to whatever height you want. This would also encourage it to make plenty of new growth, which would make for a 'greener' less woody looking hedge.

Hope this is useful, there are plenty of knowledgeable folk on here, they're a really friendly bunch too, so don't hesitate to ask if you need any more help. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,996
      Agree with @Trunky, I've got a small hedge of this and its very fast growing, I clip it three times a year just to keep it a bit neat looking.
      The more you clip it the denser it will become.

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      Please do check for nesting birds if you decide to trim it. Birds are nesting and it is an offence to disturb nests, maximum fine of £5000 or six months in prison. If you do start trimming and come across a nest, stop immediately and don't resume the cutting until after the chicks have fledged.

• Carrie1983

Carrie1983 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thank you everyone! I will follow all of your advice, including looking for nesting birds. Xx

• Like Like x 1