What type of hedge trimmer to buy

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Portisgrass, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Portisgrass

Portisgrass Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all.
    I need a new hedge trimmer. I've thrown several electric away over the last 5 years so was looking at petrol. I guess cheap ones and they blunt.

Basically, I was looking at a titan normal petrol hedge trimmer from screw fix for £70
    But also they have those petrol bent shaft trimmers on a long pole for about £90.

Titan TTL488GDO 1.07hp 25cc Bent Shaft Petrol 2-in-1 Grass & Hedge Trimmer

Are the long pole ones any good? Sturdy?

I have roughly 12 mtrs of conifer to cut front and back and they are about 2.5 mtrs high.

Or stick with electric...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
    +599
    Buying cheap tools is false economy IMO. :)

The Titan looks quite a decent tool and has a lot of compatible attachments and as you're using it for conifers, it may come in handy for cutting the tops - but how long are the hedge trimmer blades? A longer blade obviusly gives a neater finish.

Also, a lot of garden machinery workshops won't touch 'supermarket brands' with a barge pole as the parts can be incredibly difficult or expensive to obtain. Then there's labour charges on top, which when combined, may add upto more than the cost of a new machine.

If you have the spare cash, a better brand such as Efco or Stihl may be a better long-term investmment but if you're using a Titan only a couple of times a year, they look pretty good according to the feedback. It's just the potential short length of cutter that is questionable.

3. Portisgrass

Portisgrass Gardener

Ratings:
    +15

Well I was looking at this originally.
    Titan TTL 688 HDC 61cm 26cc 1hp Petrol Hedge Trimmer

I just noticed the long reach things as an after thought..

I mean a Stihl would be nice but it is going to be upwards of £250 new?
    I just Can't do it.

Titan is £70. Would it be better than a long reach? Sturdier? I just don't know. Never used either other than an electric trimmer

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  4. Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
    +599
    Stihl and Efco are expensive but reliable - and more importantly, serviceable.

Just saying if you want a nice, clean edge to your conifers, a longer blade would be better than the pole cutter. Cutting conifers isn't easy at the best of times (especially Cypress) as they can die back so easily with slight over-cutting and is so easily done with short blades.

One great thing about Screwfix is that they honour warranties without question. Try the Titan and you may be surprised! If you do, please send feedback as the pole cutters do look pretty good for high-reach :blue thumb:

5. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    So true unfortunately. I bought a cheapo petrol hedgecutter and it was blunted, often cut out and a b to start after only a season. Bit the bullet and bought a Stihl. Differenece is night and day. Stihl starts with usually just 1 pull and you don't have to dislocate your shoulder in the process. It tackles all my hedges both Leylandii (which I didn't plant I hasten to add!) and about 40ft Beech hedge. What used to be a horror job is now really not too bad. Had the Stihl now for 3 seasons with no issues. If you want I can find out which model it is as I would seriously recommend it.I managed to find an internet seller who was happy to sell without collecting in person (some Stihl regulations I think to protect their retailers maybe?)it wasn't horrifically expensive either from memory.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,354
      I'm also one that thinks cheap tools are a false economy, and personally I think £79 for a petrol trimmer is pretty cheap.
      I'm not a pro gardener or do I have lots of hedge but I did buy this two years ago and it does a good job.
      Bosch AHS 60-26 Electric Hedge cutter - 600W | Homebase

I dont think by simply buying a petrol powered machine you are going to get a better product.
      Of course if you need a petrol one then that is different, must admit I hate cables but its something I'll put up with for the amount of hedge I have.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        Without question, I'm in the Stihl camp as regards hedge trimmers. I cant remember which model mine is offhand, only that it has a longer than standard blade As others have said, I certainly think cheap tools are false economy.

Having said that, with only 12 metres to cut, good old garden shears are more than enough.

• Like Like x 2
        • Portisgrass

Portisgrass Gardener

Ratings:
          +15
          I don't mind either really but I thought petrol would be stronger. I keep buying £40 odd quid machines, last was a spear Jackson.
          The titan has £60 cm cutter. Is that small?
          I can fix myself if the need it. Thats no issue, but never had one so unsure what to do.of course a £250 machine. Will be better and I don't really want untrusted second hand, might be blunt!!
          What to do.....

• Portisgrass

Portisgrass Gardener

Ratings:
          +15
          Yes but 12 mtrs front and 12 mtrs back and tops, I'll be there for a month!

• Like Like x 2
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,354
            Must admit I bought mine because cutting with shears was becoming a bit of a bind, I'd done it for years that way, but as you get older and time gets shorter...............:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
              Ratings:
              +5,368
              In my case it was more a matter of me getting older, and the hedges getting longer...theres over 200 metres to cut as things stand....including a good few metres of the most evil plant on the planet, Siberian Pea. Thats the one to test any hedge trimmer...:snork:

• Informative Informative x 2
              • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +6,925
                • Like Like x 2