1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What type of soil?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by newtoitall, Sep 13, 2014.

1. newtoitall

newtoitall Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    At the bottom of my garden is a 5' x 5' square which was apparently an old pond that was dug out. It has been largely filled with gravel apart from the last 4inches.

It is entirely surrounded by grass and I would like to cover the gravelled area with grass too.

What are my options? Do I fill with topsoil and then seed or would I be better doing something else?

2. scott333

scott333 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3

3. scott333

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there,

As long as you have a minimum of 10cm that you can seed / turf onto then that will be fine.

Seeing as we are now into the seeding season (Autumn) I would be tempted to buy a decent topsoil made for seed & turf and over seed the area.

Be very careful when ordering in soil at the moment and only buy from a reputable source. There are many skip companies passing off sub soil & contaminated stuff for around £40 per ton AVOID like the plague.

I am in horticulture and know anything less than a minimum of £80 per tonne is going to be suspect.

Hope that helps.

4. newtoitall

newtoitall Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    That's fantastic, thank you for taking the time to reply. I've got a depth of 15cm so that's good news.
    Thanks for your advice

5. scott333

Ratings:
    +3
    No Problem.

If it is just loose gravel you are putting the soil onto I would suggest maybe a permeable weed membrane over the gravel and then the soil on top.

If the gravel is very loose then you might find the soil sinks a bit by washing into the gravel,a membrane will stop this.

6. newtoitall

newtoitall Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    Superb, thank you again. I'll let you know how I get on :-)

7. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,860
    I would use a bit more soil, as if we get more dryer summers it will help the grass to survise better

8. newtoitall

newtoitall Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    Do you mean more depth of soil?

9. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,860
    I would if it's mine less depth of soil can dry out quicker in very dry summers then you will see where the old pond was

10. newtoitall

newtoitall Gardener

Ratings:
    +39