1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What will you grow again (including overwintering)

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Fat Controller, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,570
    As we are getting near to the end of the summer, I thought that it would be good to reflect on things that we have grown this year, and which performed well (or not so well), and look at what we can and can't overwinter.

For me, there have been a few surprise performers that I haven't grown before, and if possible I would like to overwinter as many of them as I can for next year:

• Nepeta Variegata - I absolutely love this! It has added a whole new dimension to my baskets and planters and has grown profusely. I would love to overwinter as much as I can (if possible), so would appreciate advice please?
    • Bacopa Snowflake - another one that has done well, particularly in planters. Does it overwinter?
    • Impatiens - why on earth have I not grown these before?? No really, why? A mass of flowers and colour, right up there with petunias. Am I right in thinking that these are annual only, and I will have to buy them again next year?

Good old geraniums have done really well for me this year, so these will be removed from planters and brought indoors in pots for the winter too, and hopefully I will be able to raise cuttings from them next spring.

Begonia - my nemesis! I have actually had a reasonable run with these, and think that the ones I have are tuberous (how do I tell?) - if possible, I would like to either save the tubers or overwinter the plants indoors for a head start next spring?

Fuchsias - these have been a mixed bag; some have done remarkably well, others a waste of pot space, although I do think that this is mostly down to me not nipping them out early enough. If I can, I would like to overwinter some or all? I was thining of taking them out of their pots/planters and giving them a bit of a trim and bringing them in to maybe the porch (cool to cold, but not icy) - methinks I need @KFF here...

And brugmansia - beautiful as always with one blooming away now and two to follow on. How best to overwinter them?

So, what did well for you and how are you going to overwinter things?

• Like Like x 4
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,835
      Good afternoon hopefully I shall grow a little wiser;):heehee:

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Like Like x 3
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        I over winter my hosts in a cold greenhouse same with the Agapanthus in pots.. Also overwinter most of my different flavoured mints in there too.. My Olive tree goes in the carport where it stays dry.. I also put my Bonsai trees in the cold greenhouse in the winter to protect the containers more than the trees.! :whistle:

In the tunnel I shall grow Autumn planting onions and garlic as well as Broadbeans and of course my new Asparagus bed which is very happy in there..

I don't do baskets but then I don't do that many anuals either.. :noidea:

• Like Like x 4
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,900
          Well with me it is a bit the other way around, more like, what I wont be growing next year.;)

I'm getting a bit tired of Cannas to be honest, I might give them a rest for a few years, also the banana "thing" is wearing off a bit, along with Brugs.
          All are a bit time consuming, especially when it comes to overwintering.

Mind you, I say this now, but by next spring who knows?:biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
            Ratings:
            +6,224
            Peas.. can't get enough of them!
            Hurst green shaft done particularly well. Won't be growing early onward, no different too onward I found.. all 3 put in the ground same time and same methods. Might try kelvedon wonder again but in spring not summer, the last sowing got to a foot and mildew has set in the last week. Terrain and eddy are doing ok got to a foot and half with flowers so fingers crossed I'll get some before frost. Oh also trying to over winter douce provence peas for early pickings.

I'll be bringing in my fuchsias/favourite geraniums like last year, even managed to take cuttings from 2 fuchsias last winter, found that quite easy to do. Going to try more cuttings this week and keep them in the porch.

Will try and overwinter a chilli or 2, the many bananas I bought and cannas I grew from seed. With begonias and dahlias I'll pull up and store the usual way but will start them off in Feb like last year.

• Like Like x 4
            • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
              Ratings:
              +2,618
              I'm feeling a bit jaded like my garden. I won't grow as many annuals next year. They are time consuming especially as I grew most of them from seeds. The only annual flowers that I definitely will grow again are cosmos and sweet peas.

I've fallen out of love with hostas because whatever I do the slugs get to them. I may split them and give them away.

I have too many hardy geraniums and they are in danger of taking over in some of the beds. I do love to see them in their flowering glory but this time of the year they are looking sorry for themselves.

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
                Ratings:
                +2,618
                Sorry I misinterpreted the thread. Please disregard apart from the cosmos and sweet peas.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +49,570
                  Nothing to apologise for @alana, and no misinterpretation either :)

I only have one hardy geranium, and it is still flowering profusely, thankfully. Should I be giving it a haircut at some point before winter?

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                    Ratings:
                    +6,224
                    I gave mine a chop last week FC but no idea if that was the "right time" ..it was spilling over the path and blocking other flowers, needed to be reigned in.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
                      Ratings:
                      +2,618
                      They certainly need keeping in check - I cut mine back after flowering but the conditions this year have made them grow like they're on steroids. I love ground cover but not when it swamps all in it's path:smile:

• Agree Agree x 4
                      • Like Like x 2
                      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                        Ratings:
                        +49,570
                        Thank you both, I will need to take mine in hand then - it, and a neighbouring fuchsia are just a mound of flowers at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                          Ratings:
                          +89,835

Good afternoon I usually cut mine back about now just so that I can get a second bloom;)

• Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
                            Ratings:
                            +4,331
                            I am ashamed to admit I was a bit snobby about zinnias. But I had some free seeds of Sarah Raven's zinnias last year (or 2015) on a magazine, so sowed them this year. They came up like cress! And the colours are glorious - clean clear reds, pinks and sparkling oranges. I don't grow many annuals, but I'm going to grow these again. As for overwintering, I've got too many fuchsias, so they will go in the garden and have to survive rather than faffing about with keeping them going.

• Like Like x 2
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
                              Ratings:
                              +1,840
                              This has been my first year with enough space to grow anything beyond my usual sweet pea pot, so it's been a lot of trial and error. Like @Fat Controller I will definitely be going for impatiens again - bought as plug plants in a 2-4-1 early in the year and they did amazingly. Zinnas were also brilliant. I love my dahlias but they take up an awful lot of my quite limited space, so might give some tubers away before next spring.

I have lavender, foxglove and lupin seedlings that have been growing on through the summer to try and overwinter somewhere - I was thinking in the coldframe so they have light but some protection? No greenhouse or polytunnel option sadly.

To my shame for the third year running I have failed completely with sunflowers. I *think* I start them too early and then don't water enough, but of about 20 sown only three reached flowering, and stunted pathetic flowers they were too!

A new thing this year that I will definitely repeat is I put sweet peas into the ground for the first time - only ever used pots before. They've always been fine in pots but the lot in the ground were phenomenal, in terms of height and flowers. May find a new use for the larger pots and put the whole lot in a bed next year.

• Like Like x 3
                              • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                                +17,487
                                Pete, Pete, Pete! ....I am shocked :sad:. I love my cannas.:) Will get more too. Right now I have several large to very large clumps with orange, red and yellow flowers standing 7' to 8' tall. Here they are easy...kept in the ground unless I want to divide them. Impact with wonderful foliage from mid summer; flowers well into late autumn.:)
                                Agree about bananas.....for me the foliage on cannas looks good whereas banana foliage tears and rips so easily. Never really look in good condition by mid summer.:noidea:
                                Fat Controller, if you like impatiens check out Sunpatiens. They are 2 to 4 times the size of normal impatiens (foliage and flowers), totally disease resistant and do well in direct sunshine too. I have recently taken cuttings.....in jars of water......and will pot them up in a couple of weeks to produce large plants next summer :) The usual impatiens will suffer a huge inferiority complex in comparison:gaah:
                                Not too fond of annuals....white cosmos and Sunpatiens will always feature.
                                I grow a few hardy geraniums and I cut them hard back in mid summer. Then they flower again v quickly with a much neater form until autumn. FC! If yours are flowering profusely I would leave them alone and would not cut back now.....they will not reflower now this year so enjoy the flowers while you can. Best to cut back in a few weeks I think.
                                So, more cannas, maybe a tree fern, maybe another hosta (mine are still intact so good value) but happy generally with plants I have. Will plant out more tender pennisetum rubrum too; already divided one plant to provide half a dozen more.
                                I have tired of spireas though....magic carpet is the exception....so will remove them.
                                Zinnias CarolineL? Check out gazanias. Hardy here and hardly out of flower in summer; as soon as the sun comes out so too do the large vivid orange, red, yellow and bicoloured flowers :)

• Like Like x 2