1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What's happening to my delphiniums?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by fiwi, Jun 17, 2005.

1. fiwi

fiwi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted delphiniums last year and they flowered very late summer. This year, they produced buds recently, but they have all been decapitated somehow. I don't understand because they are quite sheltered and it's not that windy... Anyway, now all the buds have gone I was wondering if there was anything I coud do to to encourage more buds, like cut them back? :confused: :confused:

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    hi Fiwi yes chop them right back to about 6"... but check what's been eating them, were the stems at top end all black? blackflies can demolish them in no time....put a Systemic down same time like Provado pellets... last all the season....then feed them weekly on high potash...like Phostrogen.
    ----------
    Ladybird

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh my does that sound familiar - I have lost count of the times that this has happened to my delphs over the years. Lovely budded stem one day, next day, budded stem gone or hanging by a thread. My culprit is snails - they love delphs.

Since thrushes have nested in the garden, I have had the chance to enjoy them and less need for dusk patrols.

I would agree with Ladybird, cut them back to about 6-12 inches - just above a leaf - and then feed regularly

4. fiwi

fiwi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't notice any black flies but I do have snails. I will cut them back and be ready for the snails this time!
    Thank you ladies for your advice. fiwi