1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats happening to my plants? (azalea, acer, fern)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by green-arrow, Aug 30, 2013.

1. green-arrow

green-arrow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My Azalea has been sufeering some "spots" on it's leaves and the odd yellow leaf. It has been neglected for a few years and I've only recently started paying attention to it with Azalea liquid food feeding (once every 2 weeks) and a round of seedpod dead-heading last month:
    5-IMG_20130827_184054.jpg
    6-IMG_20130827_184113.jpg

Some of my ferns have suffered discolouration on the leaves:
    1-IMG_20130827_183934.jpg
    2-IMG_20130827_183942.jpg
    And my Japanese Acer, all of a sudden it suffered massive "leaf scorch". I noticed the bark near the roots have been scraped off (maybe by an animal). My research says that "a change in environmental conditions" may case this. I had been using lawn weedkiller (for dandelions) and other chemicals on the surrounding lawn which might have affected it. It was pretty sudden. I watered it every day but not letting it get water logged:

3-IMG_20130827_184026.jpg
    4-IMG_20130827_184034.jpg

Thanks!

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,790
    Tap water or rain water? Your plants all like the acid side of life (cue thumping music) so tap water isn't the best. They look dehydrated and in need of tlc to me. The acer looks a bit like it's had it.

3. green-arrow

green-arrow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Loofah,

Tap water from outside tap. Should I try the Azalea food for the ferns, acer and other acid-loving plants?

The Acer actually has some nice leaves near the base (below the stripped bark area). It's just everything above it that is scorched. I think I may have overwatered it.

4. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,790
    The problem may be that the lime in the tap water has 'locked up' the plants ability to take up the nutrients it needs.
    If you can, use rain water. Wouldn't worry too much about feed at this point, see what emerges again next spring