1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

whats happening to my roses?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by robgil, Aug 11, 2010.

1. robgil

robgil Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    they have black spots on the leaves but also the roses also look damaged. a neighbour said they were water damaged by the rain. any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,866
    Hi Robgil could be Blackspot but looking at the leaves it could be Purple Spotting and i would say that the Buds could be water damaged or mechanical,:)

Purple Spotting
    Caused by poor growing Conditions

BlackSpot

Remove all infected leaves and even the ones that are on the ground,dispose of them but not on the compost heap ,they must be disposed of safely ,remove all infected Blooms.This won,t hurt your Rose in any way,but the sooner it is done ,the better, Please let us know how you get on:)

3. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Definitely rain damage, some of mine looked like this so I cut them off!! It's horrid weather for August!! :(

Val

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Some roses are more weather tolerant than others.
    Some will stand through wet weather and others are just a mess if it rains on them.
    I think your rose buds just look spoiled with the rain - what a shame.
    As for the black spots on the leaves - it could be blackspot, due to pollution. I don't think there's much you can do about it.
    Where in the country are you, that might help with our recommendations.

5. robgil

robgil Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks folks , Alice i am in suffolk. The growing conditions were abysmal until a while back , basically the garden had been unattended for several years and was badly over grown. Apart from cutting it all back and watering the roses every now and then i have done nothing more to it.
    The spots have appeared on all my rose bushesall over the garden.
    Do i need to use an anti fungal spray or something?

6. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,866
    Hi Robgil The Roses need some TLC,weed round the base of the Rose,and remove any other foliage from the vicinity of your Rose it needs the air to be able to circulate through and around it,I personally wouldn't spray at the moment,please remove all the infected leaves and dispose of them safely.:)

7. robgil

robgil Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    ok guys i have removed all the infected leaves however it has taken a good 80% of the plant. i do think that a lot of it will be in the soil as a lot of leaves were lying on the ground.
    do you think spraying them would be a good idea then? is there any kind of environmentally friendly way to kill the fungus? i have heard good things about neem oil killing bugs , would this work?