1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What's killing my shrubs???

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by msh, Nov 24, 2014.

1. msh

msh Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Over the past few years quite a lot of shrubs in our garden have died. About 10 years ago a very old beech tree in our neighbour's garden had to be removed because it had become dangerous as a result of honey fungus growth. More recently we have had large areas of the fungus shown in the attached image appearing in our lawns. Are these three things connected? Is the fungus that we are seeing honey fungus and could this be the cause of shrubs dying? Any information will be gratefully received and any advice on what could be done to stop the rot would be even better!

Attached Files:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,367
    The only way to be sure is to excavate around the dead shrubs to see if there are black 'bootlace-like' strings running just under the surface of the soil. If so then, yes, it's the dreaded honey fungus. Armillatox used to be sold as a soil steriliser but no idea whether it's still available in UK. The RHS produced a shortlist of resistant plants but the received wisdom used to be 'move house':sad:
    I do hope that you are able to overcome it. Good luck!

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,980
    It does look a bit like honey fungus.:frown:

4. msh

msh Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for both the responses above. We have looked but haven't seen any black bootlace-like strings around the roots of the dead plants, which is why i wanted to check if the photo suggested another explanation.

Pete, do you mean the photo looks like honey fungus or, from my description of the problem, it looks like it?

5. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,367
    I pulled the following off Google images [​IMG] There are a lot of photos....some do look like yours and some don't. If there are no 'bootlaces' in the surrounding soil, your toadstools are possibly just growing on already-decaying roots. It does seem a bit suspicious though that you've lost several shrubs when honey-fungus has been confirmed nearby.

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,980
    I basically meant the toadstools look like honey fungus, but I'm no expert, I was just going by google images and some that I assume are honey fungus in a wooded area of our local park.

7. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I think its very difficult to say just by looking at the pics. The ones in the pic also look like Death Cap to me.

http://www.gallowaywildfoods.com/?page_id=663

(PS. Please don't be misled by the link having the word 'food' in it. Death Cap is most definitely not food, as it makes clear in the article at the link).