1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What's looking exotic in February 2015

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PeterS, Feb 22, 2015.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    February is generally a quiet month, but I counted about 15 or 16 plants in flower in my Conservatory - albeit some were only half hearted.

2015_02210007.JPG
    Strelitzia reginea - Bird of Paradise flower. This same flower has lasted for over a month now. There are one or two more coming including one next to it. It seems that Strelitzia flowers whenever it wants to rather that in a defined period.

2015_02210009.JPG
    Canarina canariensis. This does have a flowering season, which is the winter. It doesn't have a lot of flowers but those that it has are very long lasting.

2015_02210003.JPG
    Jasminum polyanthum. This has loads and loads of flowers and buds. But sadly there is hardly any fragrance except of particularly warm days.

2015_02210006.JPG
    Citrofortunella microcarpa, better known as Calamondin. This is a superb plant, it has fruit on it and looks like this for almost 12 months of the years

2015_02210010.JPG
    Hardenbergia violacea, grown from seed last year has just produced its first flowers. They are tiny and not impressive at the moment. I have only ever seen a Hardenbergia once before, about 10 months ago; it was 6 feet high, absolutely covered in blue, and a magnificent sight. I saw it at The Old Walled Garden nursery - which seems to have disappeared. I would be very sorry if they have gone out of business as they had many plants that couldn't be obtained anywhere else in the UK.

2015_02210008.JPG
    Impatiens niamniamensis - an old faithful.

• Like Like x 10
    • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +28,396
      It's always nice to have some flower inside, I only have my yellow Bougainvilleas coming into flower.

• Like Like x 2
      • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,015
        Strongy - how on earth do you get Bougainvillea to flower at this time of year.

I had a couple of very small ones that flowered reasonably last year, but I had two larger ones about 4 or 5 feet tall that never flowered. I finally concluded that I had overwatered them. I had put in an automatic watering system that hasn't been very successful as it gives water when some things really need it but others don't.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        Aren't they! Twelve months a year here to one degree or another.

• Like Like x 2