whats the best way to feed tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by mrmagpie, Oct 3, 2008.

1. mrmagpie

mrmagpie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    whats the best way to feed tomatoes and what gives the best flavour I like tomatoes quite acidic but my wife likes them sweet any help much appreciated

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,375
    Yes, but not for this year. Over your winter months after you till the soil for the last time, spread on the soil a goodly amount of lime, and leave it on top of the soil, mother nature will take care of it.
    Next year, plant your tomatoes, and any thing else as usual. Lime makes it sweet.
    the other thing for next year, is to select tomato plants that say less acidic for your wife.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    The problem with that Red, is that tomatoes prefer a slightly acid soil. Something about 6,5.:)

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +10,375
    Sorry David, I googled and found support for the LIME.
    See copy here:
    Can't tell you what will work for you, but this is what works in my garden. Till the soil thoroughly, mix in a good amount of aged horse manure. If you can do this in the fall, even better. As for the chemical fertilizers, don't. They only work for the short term and actually cause imbalances in the soil. The manure encourages worm activity which is good for your plants. Before you plant your tomato plants in the spring - Soak the potted plants in water at least half an hour before planting; this "supercharges" the roots with water and causes less damage to the roots when moving them. Dig the planting hole at least 18 inches wide and deep. Mix 1 cup of calcium (sweet lime) into the soil in the hole and cover with about two inches of soil. Place your tomato plant in the hole leaving 1/3 of the plant above ground level. Strip the leaves below ground level and discard them. Fill the planting hole full of water, then finish filling it with dirt. Water thoroughly again - You cannot water it too much at this point. Point: All the stem buried in the dirt will grow roots making a healthier and stronger plant. When the dirt has settled in the hole, mulch with organic mulch (I use grass clippings but use no chemicals on my lawn). This is a good time to lay down your soaker hose watering system and then place the tomato cages around the plants. My tomato cages are made from wide-weave fencing, 4-1/2 feet tall, held in place with four yard staples and the plants still outgrow them.

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,634
    When I used to use grow bags for my tomatoes I added lime, can't remember why but someone must have told me to, so I thought they didn't like it acidic. I'm on a very alkaline soil and they seem to do OK in that, no need to lime because my soil is full of chalk.

6. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +10,375
    David, did you see my STUMP TOMATOES. It appeared this summer. Looks like I will get some tomatoes. Have to go down there to see how they are doing, have not checked in a week.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,634
    Very good Red, but are they planted in? They are not growing striaght out the rottong stump surely?