1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the best why to remove a privet

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by neney1, Feb 9, 2005.

1. neney1

neney1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 15ft long privet hedge I want to remove from my garden and put a fence up in its place, how do I go about doing it, because its been there for years and so it won't grow back>

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,915
    JCB?
    The only really effective method is to dig it out. Otherwise you could well have trouble digging the holes for the posts for the new fence. You could possibly cut it down and treat it with one of those stump killer chemicals but it wouldn't be the best method.

3. simon

simon Apprentice Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unless its dead already then it will grow back. You can cut it back hard now, top it to how high you want it and then trim it back a couple of times a year. If you really do want it out then I would have your fencing contractor take it out as he will be used to doing it and will do it in a fraction of the time it will take you.