1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the big obsession with Monstera Philodendron

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Guy Greening, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Guy Greening

Guy Greening Gardener

Car body technician
    Ratings:
    +209
    What’s the big obsession with Monstera Philodendron Iv seen loads of cutting sell for £100 /£ 200 Just for a cutting iv not seen a full plant but I wouldn’t imagine it was nice look or how much a full plant is

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,738
    Are you talking Monstera deliciosa or is this some kind of hybrid with a Philodendron?

• Like Like x 1
    • Guy Greening

Guy Greening Gardener

Car body technician
      Ratings:
      +209
      @pete im really not sure there’s a loads of different types that look like each other I just don’t understand the obsession they all cost a lot for a cutting yet I don’t think they do or make anything

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,738
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Guy Greening

Guy Greening Gardener

Car body technician
        Ratings:
        +209
        This is my point , there on eBay fetch £100 and £200 for a cutting, unless like you say there some hybrid versions, one cutting was on bidding for £160 when I could by the full plant for £12 at a garden centre nere me

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +28,418
        I don't understand it either as Monsteras have like philodendrons become more popular in recent years with many new hybrids. Even variegated Monsteras can be found in GCs and a type of Monstera Obliqua known as Adansonia and the variegated form of that is commanding ludicrous prices for cuttings.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Guy Greening

Guy Greening Gardener

Car body technician
          Ratings:
          +209
          Yeah iv found no end on eBay. I no how to cross polenate Mother plants or genetically modified seed to different colours growth change an versatility . My point is if they are hybrid then I still don’t no why the worth money when they have only very slight changes I think I’m goin to by one and change a few things out it back on eBay for £500

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          There are lots of genuine good things coming out of the oriental areas. Also many traders will chance their arm. I can't recall having seen or read any official papers on the subject of this plant and similar ones. This makes me a bit suspicious. Some strange things have been taking place with plants and cut flower, such as exotic colouring, seeds being offered of sprctacular coloured plants. Buyer BEWARE. Most of these trends come about by dying and colour feeding. The plants will not reproduce such variations.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,203
          Hi,

Its a combination of things -

Over the last few years there has been a bit of a renaissance in houseplants, particulalrly these green leafy types which can tollerate lower light levels.
          They used to be popular in the 70s and 80s.

With lots more younger folk living in small flats with no gardens, they have found this type of plant ideal, needing little attention to grow and look good.

TV and Radio folk like James Wong also push the benefits of this type of house gardening which along with social media has attracted lots of followers.
          James Wong | Create Academy

Coupled with the demand for such plants and now the restrictions with Covid, the market has gone potty as everyone trys to buy them or find something that little bit different.

Its just a cyclical thing, like Dahlias, now a very 'In' plant but been out of favour for many years.

Wonder who was the lucky seller here -

000284.jpg

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Peas

Peas Apprentice Gardener

Mature student
            Ratings:
            +22
            It's not a hybrid, it's just not named correctly. You have either a monstera Or a philodendron.
            I love my houseplants, monsteras especially and I'd love to have a variegated monstera deliciosa or if I had endless money... The magnificent obliqua

Back to the original point, the cutting would be for a rare specimen. You can get cuttings for standard monsteras but they are worth peanuts, however for a thai constellation or an albo borsigiana you are looking £70+ more for a top cutting or a rooted cutting. If you want a variegated monstera adansonii then you are looking at thousands, and that's for a plant that might revert.

• Like Like x 1