1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the difference?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fidgetsmum, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Regular contributors will know I've got 'form' for asking daft questions, but wandering around a garden centre yesterday I saw two completely separate displays, one described as 'Cottage Garden Plants', the other as 'Herbaceous Plants' which left me wondering, what (if any) is the difference between the two?

2. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    "Cottage garden" is a loose design term to describe a certain style of planting (often those that have an almost wild, woodland type appearance - daisies, foxgloves and the like, all mixed in borders in an informal way)

"Herbaceous perennial" is a well-defined botanical term to describe a type of plant (one that dies back to its roots over winter, then puts on new top growth when the weather warms up).

Many herbaceous perennials are often included in cottage garden styles - (lupins, rudbeckias, delphiniums, dianthus, achillea etc etc)

So yes, there is a difference - "cottage garden" is a style of planting, "herbaceous perennial" is a type of plant.

Hope that makes sense!

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    This is a very good explanation, but surely you don't buy a "style of planting" from a garden centre?

I guess it's just "sales talk," those who design the sales promotions don't necessarily have to be gardeners, or in other businesses, skilled in any discipline other than "promoting stuff."

I know, I've done it in my time.

4. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    I see where you're coming from but then 90% of my garden plants die back over winter, so does that make my lupins, delphiniums, dianthus, dierama igneum, stachys, trifolium etc., cottage garden plants or herbaceous plants?

I think Doghouse has got it spot on - 'sales speak'.

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I would agree with Andrew that there are (in theory) two different styles. Herbaceous border and Cottage Garden. And the implication is that the plants in those areas would be suitable for the different styles. But in practice most plants are used in both, and anyway how many people these days have a traditional Herbaceous Border or a traditional Cottage Garden - me - I just got a garden. :D

6. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    If a plant dies back to it's roots and spends winter underground, then it is a herbaceous plant.

Whether a plant is "cottage garden" style or not is purely a matter of opinion. Cottage garden planting styles can include herbaceous plants, bulbs, annuals, deciduous and evergreen shrubs.

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Another excellent description there. I would count Honeysuckle and climbing/rambling roses to be quintessential 'cottage garden' plants, but not as herbaceous perennials.

8. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Me too! I just throw in what I like - to hell with what THEY say 'goes'

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,494
    Peter, your garden isn't just a garden. It's a very special 'PeterS' garden :gnthb:. I'm sure garden centres should have a PeterS section as well. :hehe:

10. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Absolutely...with lots of Salvias as well:gnthb:

11. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13

In a single word none!

Just a marketing ploy to part us from our money!

Last week my wife bought plums sold as, "ripen in a bowl"; fancy words, she said that was why she bought them, they were as hard as golf balls, I said when I saw them when she brought them home, they would never ripen, and they have not.

Never mind they will do to through at next doors cat, pest! :cool:

12. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Hope you don't throw them that hard that they go through next doors cat, poor moggy.

13. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Shiney and SussesG - many thanks for your kind words. I have benefited enormously from the knowledge and enthusiasm on this forum, as I am sure we all have. :luv:

14. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13

Nope! the blighter comes in for titbits and then we cannot get rid of it!

:flag: