1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

whats this weed called

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by willow13, Aug 8, 2007.

1. willow13

willow13 Gardener

Ratings:
    +31
    Merrymeet all,I live in west yorkshire and in my front garden i have this weed that looks like a buttercup but has leaves that are hard to describe but to say they are roughish and ugly. It creeps all over the garden and i have tried allsorts to get rid of it. I cant dig it out as i am disabled but would welcome ideas on what it is and how to get rid-if thats possible! will take a pic of it and put on here if it helps.

p.s I dont really like to use chemical pesticides but on this occasion needs must lol.
    Thankyou in advance.x

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi willow. Strange to say you have actually named that weed. Click on this link and see if that is it.
    Creeping buttercup

I think I know it of old. I seem to remember that any systemic weedkiller will shift it eventually, especially glyphosate, but it is tough. It may require 2 or even 3 applications a few weeks apart, but the only nice thing about glyphosate is that it is non-residual. Doesn't hang around. The best time to start hitting them is Spring when they come into growth.

If that isn't it then post a picture.

John

3. willow13

willow13 Gardener

Ratings:
    +31
    hi john, yep thats the one. thankyou for your help. much appreciated.

willow.

4. luvgarlic

luvgarlic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It is fairly easily killed out by mulching. Any that do get through are easily pulled or hoed (sp?) off.

5. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hoeing is not much use. It puts out subterranean runners which form their own root system which eventually put out their own stems. Needs either digging out or the entire system killing.

6. luvgarlic

luvgarlic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I beg to differ :eek: Any that get through a thick mulch are easily hoed off. [​IMG]

7. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    OK we'll differ. Hoeing will just temporarily remove the tops. Do this often enough for many weeds and the root system will eventually die. But not if they are putting out runners. [​IMG]

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I agree John, like most pernicious weeds, as long as part of the root system is left active in the soil it will continue to be a pest. David.

9. willow13

willow13 Gardener

Ratings:
    +31
    THANKYOU TO ALL THOSE WHO POSTED ADVICE. MY NEXT QUESTION IS: HAS ANYONE GOT ANY CHEMICAL FREE WAYS OFF GETTING RID OF WEEDS INCLUDING THE DREADED CREEPING BUTTERCUP?

aLL ADVICE GREATFULLY RECIEVED.

THANKYOU.X

10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Merrymeet willow, I use a parseen flame wand works off a gas cannister it was the only thing that controls my horsetail problem wich I tried to erradicate using all known means,they sell them at Wilkinsons at a reasonable price.

11. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Must look into one of those myself Walnut. I usually have to dig them out but the arthritis is making that difficult these days.

12. willow13

willow13 Gardener

Ratings:
    +31
    [​IMG] hi there, thanks for the info. i will try one of those.

cheers
    Willow.

13. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    With the creeping buttercup its the crown that you need to get rid of. I have a damp border which it invades from next door every so often. I use a sharp trowel when weeding and just slice under the crown. You could use a sharp knife. I don't bother digging out the fine roots. Once you get the main plant out the runners lift and the babies either lift out or you just slice under those as well.

14. luvgarlic

luvgarlic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree GH. That's why mulching works so well against it. And I've never known it to produce subterranean runners; only surface ones.

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    John you will not regret getting a flame wand great for those weeds in the cracks in paths,when you toast the top of the weeds it alters the cell structure which apparently does the roots in as well,works a treat and no poisons no effort.