1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What's this white mould?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Markymark, May 28, 2017.

1. Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +125
    Hi everyone! I'be been asked by a parent at school if I could help solve a mystery with her roses. She has noticed a white mould-type growth on her plants. I said that I would investigate it for her as she knows I love gardening! Thank you in anticipation!

Attached Files:

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,629
      I'd be inclined to think it is mildew.

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,784
      Good evening @Markymark the powdery mildew that attacks roses is known as Sphaerotheca pannosa Powdery mildew on roses will form what looks like a white powder over the surface area of the rose leaves, and it may also spread to the stems and new rose buds. It can disfigure the leaves and they will not come back to their normal shape even after the powdery mildew has been killed. Powdery mildew on rose bushes loves to attack the fresh new foliage of the plants and will also stunt the bud growth, causing disfigured blooms and, if left unchecked, will prevent the buds from opening. Warm, dry days followed by cool, humid nights are perfect conditions for an outbreak of powdery mildew.:smile:

You can buy a fungicidal spray and use once a week until all signs of mildew are gone, use the spray evenly to foliage in the morning to avoid leaf burn. Make your own spray by combining 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of liquid soap in 2 quarts of water.

• Informative Informative x 1
        Last edited: May 28, 2017