1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with my pear tree?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jack Sparrow, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    IMG_20200707_175355.jpg

It can't be a watering issue as I water it regularly. It has also been raining today. It is the only fruit tree that is suffering. It is also the only tree at the front of the house. Could it be a sun or wind problem?

G.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,608
    Perhaps it needs feeding Jack. Watering regularly washes the nutrients out of the soil.

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    • misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,782
      That tree is dead or dying.

Unless you have given it the summer prune, there should be some fresh green shoots coming out from it by this time of the year.

Scrape the bark with your thumbnail to verify its condition: moist and green underneath means that it is still alive; dry and brown means that it is dead.

Then inspect the tree carefully for insect pests - although I have not seen them on pear trees, double check for sap-sucking scale insects.

The final check is to inspect the root system so tip the tree out of the pot and use common sense to gauge the condition of the roots and the surrounding soil. Compare it to another healthy tree taken out of its pot if you are unsure what to look for.

If the tree is still alive with no root rot then it was most likely an extended period of drought that caused the problem. In which case just defoliate the tree and move it to a location with partial shade or dapple sun.

When it comes to watering, unless it is torrential rain, don't rely on rainfall as the catchment area of the pot is too small to provide adequate water.

• Like Like x 2
      • hans

hans Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +745
        Looks like its been too dry in the past. Pots quickly dry out. I have quite a few here and it keeps you busy on dry spells. I do occasionally in the heat of summer place a container under the pot so as the water or feed can't escape. This is only for a hour or so so as to saturate the compost.
        I agree with misterQ.

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,990
          Over watering or under watering.
          Only you can work out which ;):smile:.

Failing that some nasty root pest. :smile: