1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with my plants :-( ?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by BlackCountryGardener, Jul 29, 2022.

1. BlackCountryGardener

BlackCountryGardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +25
    I've got several plants that are looking really unhappy/close to death.
    Plants in pots are all doing fine, these in a bit container with plenty of room to spread their roots, all looking v sickly.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2 x Dahlias started going brown about a week ago, now almost completely crisped and dead. What's wrong with them? What should I do for them or do they need pulling and throwing in the bin?
    Lupin got bad whitefly but was sprayed and they went but then it just carried on deteriorating as shown until I had to cut off all the stalks and leaves.
    Rose - looking quite unwell but have fed with Focus Unique Liquid Concentrated Fertiliser and it's rallying. I think I need to cut it back quite enthusiastically as it's v spindly but since using the Focus stuff, new shoots are coming out from nearer that bottom which is good - intention is to feed this (each time I water?).

My suspicion is that my soil is not right though. Looking at the hosta for eg, I feel it (and everything else) could be looking better if that was better. When I put in this 9 ft long by 3 ft deep by 3.5/4 ft high container, I put old torn out turf in the bottom and then I had a mixture of topsoil and compost. Does anyone have suggestions for what I should put in right now - well rotted manure???

Help, I feel everything's dying on me!

I'm not sure I've managed to add the pics - possibly don't have enough posts yet or something, so I'll post what I can for now and see how it goes.

• Like Like x 2
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,169
      Unfortunately we can't see your photos. There is no minimum post limit so you should be able to post photos. Use the 'Upload a File' button and follow the prompts.

It's a tough time for plants at the moment with a drought in several areas. Where are you and have you had recent rain. Are you watering?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • JWK

Ratings:
        +46,169
        Going by your user name you must be in the Midlands?

• BlackCountryGardener

Ratings:
        +25
        Yes indeed JWK, about 10 miles south east of Birmingham.

I just tried again, it tells me amongst other things that I don't have enough posts so I'm a bit stuck - unless I make another, random, post then try again?! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +18,174
          I would contact admin about it @BlackCountryGardener I don't think there's any reason why you couldn't upload photos.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • BlackCountryGardener

Ratings:
            +25
            Will do, thank you.

• Like Like x 2
            • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,556
              Without seeing the picks yet, I'm going to make an educated guess.

When were they planted? And into what soil?

If it's plants that started in a pot, in compost, and you put them in a hole in clay, two things happen. Firstly, the roots often don't penetrate into the clay soil, but just stay in their original compost. They will eventually, if the surrounding soil is moist enough, but it's kind of a race against time, from stretching their legs, before drying out.

The other bad thing that happens is the clay soil literally sucks the moisture out of the compost the plant is in, as the moisture will always move from larger particles in compost to smaller ones in clay soil. With the unusually dry year we've had so far, there's a lot of capacity in the soil to suck water out of anything moist in comes into contact with. Incidentally, this is the very reason why I can pour an entire watering can on one spot at the moment and it just disappears without a trace.

Watering is the obvious answer, but the ground is so dry right now it feels like we're fighting a losing battle.

• Like Like x 2
              • JWK

Ratings:
                +46,169
                Hi @BlackCountryGardener I am Admin and can help you with posting photos.

Firstly there is no minimum post count needed, you can post straight away once joining.

The way to post a photo is to click on the 'Upload a File' button at the bottom of the reply box, you will then see a dialog asking you to navigate to where your photos are stored. Just click on the desired photo and it will upload. There is a size limit so you may see a message at this point. Assuming there is no size problem you will see the uploaded photo as a thumbnail at the bottom, select the option that says Full Sized and the photo is inserted into your reply box. Then hit Post Reply and it will be visible to all.

If none of this makes sense or you still have problems just say so, I can sort it out with a private conversation if you want.

It's not completely intuitive to start with. Good luck.

• BlackCountryGardener

Ratings:
                +25

• Like Like x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,556
                • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
                  Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
                  Ratings:
                  +6,780
                  And if you are linking to a photo on the like of Imgur or a website then you use the Image icon at the top of the screen.

• BlackCountryGardener

Ratings:
                  +25
                  Thank you, yes, this is what I was trying to no avail.

• Like Like x 3
                  • BlackCountryGardener

Ratings:
                    +25
                    Hi. With absolutely NO doubt, I AM getting a message saying 'you don't have enough posts', I honestly am not making this up. I'd attach a screenshot of the error message, but....;):smile:. Please let me know what else I can do, thank you.

• Like Like x 3
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                      +7,684
                      How odd! Have you been naughty online? ;) Websites sometimes have a mind of their own. I have "liked" all your posts to see if that helps. Perhaps you could respond here a couple of times to take you to 10 posts, spamming is allowed in these situations.

Looking forward to seeing your photos, the going ons sound like a mystery.

• Like Like x 1
                      • JWK

Ratings:
                        +46,169
                        Sorry you are getting that message, I believe you. I must admit I have never tested that method of posting an image in fact I didn't know it existed. If it's the same as posting a website link then there could well be something built in to forum software to stop new members linking to spam sites. We have to limit new members just in case, we have several a day trying to break in which unfortunately means genuine new members like you have extra hurdles to jump.

Can you try the method I suggested above and am sure will work.