1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with rose

Discussion in 'Roses' started by spiidey, Jul 16, 2022.

1. spiidey

spiidey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    3 of our 9 roses along our back fence seem to be dying.

In the space of a month, from the middle of June to now, these 3 roses have gone from vibrant, healthy roses with a little bit of rust/black spot to defoliated, withering, anaemic.

The other 6 along the back fence are generally healthy (other than some mild signs of rust/black spot) with very little defoliation.

In March I tied all the main canes of all 9 of the roses against the fence wth cable ties, ensuring they had room to move/grow, and at the same time trained the canes to grow laterally/horizontally so that the canes from adjacent roses would cross each other.

At the beginning of April and beginning of May, all 9 roses were sprayed with Rose Clear, as they all had aphids, signs of rust and black spot. The 1st spray got rid of the aphids and really invigorated the roses. The 2nd spray I think I was a little bit too heavy handed and some of the leaves were really dripping with the spray and seemed to make the rust in particular a little bit worse.

However, since then, they have all flowered, and 2 of the 3 that are showing really bad symptoms of disease were probably the most prolific flowering.

Since the start of April I was feeding each rose with one capful of miracle gro concentrated liquid rose and shrub feed and one gallon of water per rose, per week. I continued this up to the middle of May where a hand injury prevented me from doing this.

From the middle of June, I then started feeding again, with each rose being fed once per week with 2 capfuls of miracle gro concentrated liquid rose and shrub feed mixed in 2 gallons of water per rose.

My wife thinks from the visual inspection that the damage looks like damage from a spray and not from over feeding / under watering but neither of us are experts and just aren't sure what to do and would be grateful for any advice from members of the forum.

The roses are 4 years in the ground and all David Austin varieties.

D6BDACB0-782E-49B9-AF67-3375E0038E95.jpeg 99F517EB-1325-4B82-A598-7255F19AB6FB.jpeg AA6F0690-7F4F-4B28-B1E6-1A0BF3C4BB66.jpeg 98556026-E24F-497C-B525-F419A1222F69.jpeg 2441BA47-997F-4003-BC93-E1A1F879B557.jpeg 77DDED13-92FB-4018-87A1-AF875B8CA0C9.jpeg D1E4111D-C675-49B7-8F44-2C773141519C.jpeg 9790BB46-762F-42B0-A9EE-F2E67E747380.jpeg 59A40A59-5D70-4ED3-A7B8-714D17F08580.jpeg

2. spiidey

Ratings:
    +0
    These are photos of the roses from mid June where they were all in bloom and generally healthy.

AC87E030-A4B1-4BB6-BE64-8EF2D8B695D0.jpeg 65545AF7-1446-4550-B74D-9BAA2FC1B35F.jpeg 50B9B5B7-1288-44EE-B050-3B69C4CB801B.jpeg

3. Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
    Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
    Ratings:
    +6,780
    Could your neighbour have been spraying?

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,710
    Not good on roses but looks like blackspot to me.

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,063
  6. spiidey

Ratings:
    +0
    We will ask the question when they’re back from holiday

7. spiidey

Ratings:
    +0
    If it is black spot what would you recommend as the best approach?

8. spiidey

Ratings:
    +0
    Could it be over feeding that’s caused all of this?

Trying to eliminate things.

And/or over watering?

9. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,063
    Have a look at wiseowl's post on the link above, he is our resident expert and it's very comprehensive.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,710
      I've got to admit your pictures make me glad I don't grow roses.
      Some people have the knack, or maybe it's the soil, or maybe it's picking disease resistant varieties.

But on wandering around I see far more sick looking roses than healthy ones.
      Where is @wiseowl when you need him, probably residing in the weather thread as usual. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,814
        Good morning @pete to be perfectly honest that's because the people that grow these Roses just don't look after them or in this case look after them to much(Killing them with Kindness comes to mind)that's why the Roses are look sick and want reporting to the RSPCR :heehee::heehee::heehee:

@spiidey I have looked at your Roses my friend and with respect I have never seen Roses with so many problems Killing them with kindness comes to mind,Blackspot/Rust/Powdery Mildew/Mineral deficiency how on earth they have kept healthy as you say for 4 years in the images you have supplied the fence is totally unsuitable there's no air circulation /being fed to much/sprayed with several different sprays even the fence is covered in spray/even the plastic ties are not really suitable:smile:

The very first thing you must do is to remove every leaf that has fallen on the ground otherwise the spores will lay there all winter and come back again next year;)
        98556026-E24F-497C-B525-F419A1222F69.jpeg

1.If they were my beautiful Roses I should remove all the infected leaves and dispose of them by burning them .

2. Then give them a good prune down to about 30 centimeters

3Then dispose of the fence and replace it with a fence or trellis which would allow air circulation

If you want to continue each step with me I am quite willing to do that by PM or on open froum it will take time but we will get there eventually my friend;):blue thumb:

• Like Like x 4
        • Friendly Friendly x 2