1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your view

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fran, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Whats your view on this situation:

Mr Bloggs owns a fine detached house and double garage in its own grounds with many shrubs rhodies etc. The front of his property is on a narrow country lane. On the other side is a grass verge with wild flowers, a sort of hedge, but more coppiced typetrees and then fields.

Mr Blogs decides he would like an unimpeded view of the fields from his top floor, so employes a contractor who cuts the trees down, leaving the debris where it falls. He states when challendged that the field margin/verge is no man's land, and therefore he is entitled to do this.

Come spring Mr Blogs's own shrubs and trees need pruning he thinks, so he does so disposing of his prunings on the land opposite on top of the tree residue. Come summer he does this again, cos its no-mans land and he can do this.

What do you think?

2. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    I think it shouldn't be allowed. It amounts to fly-tipping. Could you contact your local Council's Parks Department or Environment Agency or whatever? Who says it's no-man's land?

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    There is no such thing as 'no man's land' All land in Britain belongs to somebody. Finding out though is another matter. Even if it is Common land, ie owned by the people, then there are still laws governing what you can and cannot do. The Environment Agency as suggested maybwe the ones to contact.

4. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ask Mr Blogs very nicely to sit on top of his pile then strike a match.

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I agree with Palustris - I suspect that there is no such thing as no man's land. The land is probably owned by the council, or the highways department (ie county council). In Harrogate there is often a strip of land between the fence of a house and the pavement and road. This is council land. I know this becaise a newcomer in our street, has cut down the council trees and moved his fence forward five feet to incorporate this land. A number of us are currently contesting this through the council.

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Oh, Kryssy - you allumeuse, you! ;)

Seriously - I think the general feeling is right - this isn't permissible. Somebody must own the land, and nobody has the right to dump things regardless. Sounds like Mr Bloggs is cocking a snook, whatever that might be.... Chances are it's Council Land, whether or not they know it. I'd try writing to your (new?) local councillor to raise the issue. They all have e-mail addresses to write to nowadays!

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    wonderful to hear that your views accord with mine and indeed the coucils. I made a complaint to the council - whose officer reacted in much the same way - its fly tipping they said, and he can't just cut down trees that are not on his land - there will be a registered or unregistered land owner, prolly the council or the Highways agency.

They will be sending someone out to inspect the damage and hopefully at worst will write and tell him to desist, at best fine him the lazy selfish git.