1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheelchair or Mobility Scooter.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,451
    • Like Like x 2
    • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      Well, that looks quite impressive, and it`s a fair price - does 20 miles a go, and is height adjustable..... looks like it fits the bill.
      Have you ordered it yet? Will you need to organise any ramps to get it in and out of the house?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411

Looks just right.

You could put a bid in for this one.

Drive Sunfire Plus GT Powerchair Electric Wheelchair | eBay

Starting price £120. Located in London. Looks in excellent condition. Vendor has 100% feedback. Says it's only been used "lightly" for six months. Probably a sad story behind that.

• Like Like x 2
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,491
          That looks good FC. The seat is well padded too so you won't get a numb bum. :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,605
            I have had experience now with teo people who had strokes that left them hemiplegic. If you are needing the use of a hoyer lift, don't even think about a scooter.

@shiney 's suggestjon of renting a motorized wheelchair makes the most sense. It is also the safest option because the lift needs to surround/clear your mobility device. Those scooter controls will cause lots of obstacles. If it is for the short term, ugly and practical works better than racy.

I spent a few years helping a dear friend who had to use both a wheelchair and a lift. And I was with him 200 days out of each year. I witnessed the physical challenges in providing mobility. I was unable to help him physically but I did help him deal emotionally with being reduced to dependence on others and facilitating the purchase of any equipment that would help in his day to day life.

I am very glad to hear that you are expecting to recover. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 3
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,451
              I have been watching some similar auctions on these, and they seem to get to around £550-£600 quite rapidly; whilst I could just about manage to spend that, I also need to factor in a couple of hundred for a removable cill ramp (cannot be a fixed ramp as I rent the house), which when coupled with the fact that I would have no warranty with a used machine starts to make it look expensive and risky. The fact that I can pay monthly with the company linked to appeals, not least as the monthly payments are pretty much the same as the amount I have been paying for car insurance, which I will no longer be needing as the car is gone in the coming days.

@CanadianLori - you are spot on about the mental effects of not being able to do things independently; don't get me wrong, Mrs C is doing a fantastic job and I am wanting for nothing, but it is deeply frustrating that I cannot go anywhere out of the house at all at the moment. I did consider a 'manual' wheelchair, but as mentioned above, the potential for injury to Mrs C really worries me.

I am having a good day with my legs today - stood up easily this morning, and stood about at the back of the living room looking out into the garden before walking to the sofa to sit down; things are definitely improving slowly. However, putting my realistic head on, I reckon that I will be able to walk to the end of the street at most by the end of the summer, and even then that will be with a frame/stick for support. I also need to get back to work as soon as I can, which will require me to travel there (at least some days each week) by public transport, hence my thinking that a power chair might be the way to go.

Still not 100% on the make/model, as I know now't about these things, but I am looking at the ones with the higher range

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                Ratings:
                +5,404
                :yay: I liked to read that bit. Stay positive and plod - you`ll get there:)

• Agree Agree x 4
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,221
                  Are you thinking of going to work in the scooter? Some things to think about. How far is it? Are there kerb ramps en route?

Have you thought of which benefits are available? Carer's Allowance for Mrs C?

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,451
                    I almost certainly will have to use it to get to work for a while @shiney - the one I am looking at has a range of 20 miles, and the bus stop (fully accessible/DDA compliant) is quarter of a mile at most from the house, and the one at the other end is even closer to work; even the pavements have sloped crossing points where needed

• Like Like x 3
                    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                      Ratings:
                      +118,221
                      That's good because most of the buses round here still don't comply and those that do can't actually fit a large scooter on them.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                        Ratings:
                        +5,404
                        That power chair will take up a lot less space than a scooter - should work so much better if travelling by bus :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                          +0
                          Hello @Fat Controller it's nice to have you back with us :thumbsup:

I can't understand why you haven't got a zimmer frame with a seat to wrest after a while?

IF you need something for going out side and travelling then I recommend an 8mph Electric mobility scooter, as they're faster and can take hills quicker plus going for the solid larger wheels are a lot better and if you go for second hand by from a company where they've been serviced and you get 6mths guarantee...not from another individual in case break system or battery is on it's way out or the pressure handle to move them forward.

You can buy the new fold up ones for in a car but don't go there as they're not good with balance and if you do decide to buy one make sure it's a 4 wheel one...your on solid ground.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                          Ratings:
                          +6,097
                          I used a three wheeled Stirlong scooter for a while. It caused me so much more back pain, I stopped using it. It has now fallen into a state of disrepair.

My late wife Valerie soon followed me, needing a means of getting around. She had an ordinary wheelchair that sadly was nicked along with our car. She als had a S/H powered wheelchair. This could be used indoors, but it was a nightmare to dismantle for the car boot, that had two sets of controls, one for the disabled person and a handle bar set for a carer. This also now lies dead in the out building.

It is difficult to say which would be your best choice. Perhaps a visit to a local mobility shop might help. Comes the time when we have to trust others to help and advise. I truly wish you all the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                            Ratings:
                            +49,451
                            A zimmer with a seat wouldn't really be suitable for the distances I would need it for (thinking shopping etc also), but equally I am not sure that I need an 8mph one as there are few hills around here, and the additional weight could well negate me using it on buses due to the SWL of the vehicle ramps. Foldability to put it in a car is irrelevant, as I am getting rid of my car this week (I am fairly certain my driving days are over, as I am unsure that my health will ever recover sufficiently), so all I am needing really is something that I can use out and about reasonably comfortably.

Looking at some of the cheaper ones, the seats look to be quite hard, hence looking at the ones i am looking at. Somewhat ironically, I cannot get to a local mobility shop as I have no way of doing so without a wheelchair......

The company I linked to have already come back to me with some advice and suggestions, and seem very helpful (well, they would be given that they are wanting a sale!), but I am currently waiting on them getting back to me with advice regarding a threshold ramp for our back door.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                              Ratings:
                              +7,281
                              Do you have a local Help for Heroes Charity shop near bye
                              I have, and unfortunately they have lots of good quality scooters and chairs for sale at realistic prices ie:- bought £4k for sale £200
                              (reason the original young military owner has passed, the forces do not transfer just issue/charity buys new)

My ex wife is disabled and for many years we had two scooters one that she could travel to the town on, and one for local as it would get into smaller local shops, and more importantly allow us to travel on holidays and cruises/flights You have to make sure it has the right battery for that as air transport will not take ion batts

If buying second hand off ebay bear in mind that if the batteries are not good a new set is about £200

Best sources HFH/Salvation army charity shop/e-bay

Just my two penneth

Jack McH

• Like Like x 2
                              • Informative Informative x 2